Jun 7, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis thinks he’ll have his new head coach in place by July 5, the start of free agency in the NHL.
Gillis shared his hiring timeline today on Team 1040 radio in Vancouver.
It’s a slightly longer timeline than the ones provided by Rangers GM Glen Sather and Stars GM Jim Nill, each of whom have said they’d like their new bench boss hired in time for the NHL draft, which goes June 30.
For the Canucks, we can think of at least three reasons to wait. 1) Dave Tippett’s contract with Phoenix runs out at the end of the month. 2) John Stevens, an assistant with the Kings, is still coaching in the playoffs. 3) Ditto for Dan Bylsma.
Will any of the above three be available for interviews soon? It’s possible that’s what the Canucks are waiting to find out.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 12
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)