Jun 7, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis thinks he’ll have his new head coach in place by July 5, the start of free agency in the NHL.
Gillis shared his hiring timeline today on Team 1040 radio in Vancouver.
It’s a slightly longer timeline than the ones provided by Rangers GM Glen Sather and Stars GM Jim Nill, each of whom have said they’d like their new bench boss hired in time for the NHL draft, which goes June 30.
For the Canucks, we can think of at least three reasons to wait. 1) Dave Tippett’s contract with Phoenix runs out at the end of the month. 2) John Stevens, an assistant with the Kings, is still coaching in the playoffs. 3) Ditto for Dan Bylsma.
Will any of the above three be available for interviews soon? It’s possible that’s what the Canucks are waiting to find out.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)