Jun 7, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis thinks he’ll have his new head coach in place by July 5, the start of free agency in the NHL.
Gillis shared his hiring timeline today on Team 1040 radio in Vancouver.
It’s a slightly longer timeline than the ones provided by Rangers GM Glen Sather and Stars GM Jim Nill, each of whom have said they’d like their new bench boss hired in time for the NHL draft, which goes June 30.
For the Canucks, we can think of at least three reasons to wait. 1) Dave Tippett’s contract with Phoenix runs out at the end of the month. 2) John Stevens, an assistant with the Kings, is still coaching in the playoffs. 3) Ditto for Dan Bylsma.
Will any of the above three be available for interviews soon? It’s possible that’s what the Canucks are waiting to find out.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)