Jun 7, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis thinks he’ll have his new head coach in place by July 5, the start of free agency in the NHL.
Gillis shared his hiring timeline today on Team 1040 radio in Vancouver.
It’s a slightly longer timeline than the ones provided by Rangers GM Glen Sather and Stars GM Jim Nill, each of whom have said they’d like their new bench boss hired in time for the NHL draft, which goes June 30.
For the Canucks, we can think of at least three reasons to wait. 1) Dave Tippett’s contract with Phoenix runs out at the end of the month. 2) John Stevens, an assistant with the Kings, is still coaching in the playoffs. 3) Ditto for Dan Bylsma.
Will any of the above three be available for interviews soon? It’s possible that’s what the Canucks are waiting to find out.
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 6
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63