Jun 7, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Canucks general manager Mike Gillis thinks he’ll have his new head coach in place by July 5, the start of free agency in the NHL.
Gillis shared his hiring timeline today on Team 1040 radio in Vancouver.
It’s a slightly longer timeline than the ones provided by Rangers GM Glen Sather and Stars GM Jim Nill, each of whom have said they’d like their new bench boss hired in time for the NHL draft, which goes June 30.
For the Canucks, we can think of at least three reasons to wait. 1) Dave Tippett’s contract with Phoenix runs out at the end of the month. 2) John Stevens, an assistant with the Kings, is still coaching in the playoffs. 3) Ditto for Dan Bylsma.
Will any of the above three be available for interviews soon? It’s possible that’s what the Canucks are waiting to find out.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)