Jun 7, 2013, 1:17 AM EDT
Down a goal in the third period, and moving ever closer to the brink of elimination, the L.A. Kings needed offence. They got next to nothing.
The Kings fired all of two shots on goal in the third period of Thursday’s 3-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks. A win for the Kings, and the Western Conference final would’ve shifted back to Chicago all tied at 2-2.
Instead, the Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, now face elimination, down 3-1 in the series.
And, they only managed two shots in the final 20 minutes.
Asked after the loss if there was a lack of desperation from his team, head coach Darryl Sutter was succinct.
“No,” said Sutter.
Reporter, according to the transcript provided by the National Hockey League: “At all?”
“No,” reiterated Sutter.
“Yeah, I think once they scored the quick goal after the penalty kill, 10 seconds after, I think we had to go for it a little
bit, we were stretched out,” added Sutter.
“That doesn’t work that well against them. So I think they did a good job of plugging it off, defending the lead.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)