Jun 7, 2013, 1:17 AM EDT
Down a goal in the third period, and moving ever closer to the brink of elimination, the L.A. Kings needed offence. They got next to nothing.
The Kings fired all of two shots on goal in the third period of Thursday’s 3-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks. A win for the Kings, and the Western Conference final would’ve shifted back to Chicago all tied at 2-2.
Instead, the Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, now face elimination, down 3-1 in the series.
And, they only managed two shots in the final 20 minutes.
Asked after the loss if there was a lack of desperation from his team, head coach Darryl Sutter was succinct.
“No,” said Sutter.
Reporter, according to the transcript provided by the National Hockey League: “At all?”
“No,” reiterated Sutter.
“Yeah, I think once they scored the quick goal after the penalty kill, 10 seconds after, I think we had to go for it a little
bit, we were stretched out,” added Sutter.
“That doesn’t work that well against them. So I think they did a good job of plugging it off, defending the lead.”
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)