Jun 7, 2013, 1:17 AM EDT
Down a goal in the third period, and moving ever closer to the brink of elimination, the L.A. Kings needed offence. They got next to nothing.
The Kings fired all of two shots on goal in the third period of Thursday’s 3-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks. A win for the Kings, and the Western Conference final would’ve shifted back to Chicago all tied at 2-2.
Instead, the Kings, defending Stanley Cup champions, now face elimination, down 3-1 in the series.
And, they only managed two shots in the final 20 minutes.
Asked after the loss if there was a lack of desperation from his team, head coach Darryl Sutter was succinct.
“No,” said Sutter.
Reporter, according to the transcript provided by the National Hockey League: “At all?”
“No,” reiterated Sutter.
“Yeah, I think once they scored the quick goal after the penalty kill, 10 seconds after, I think we had to go for it a little
bit, we were stretched out,” added Sutter.
“That doesn’t work that well against them. So I think they did a good job of plugging it off, defending the lead.”
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)