Jun 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
Defenseman Danny DeKeyser‘s whirlwind hockey season was supposed to be over when he broke his thumb in early May, but instead he’ll learn to adjust to a new set of teammates … again.
DeKeyser confirmed that he’s ready to play for the Grand Rapids Griffins – the Detroit Red Wings’ AHL affiliate – against the Syracuse Crunch in Game 1 of the Calder Cup finals on Saturday, MLive.com reports. The 23-year-old blueliner insists he’s not limited despite returning to action ahead of schedule.
“I was shooting fine, taking slappers, making hard passes, taking hits – everything,” DeKeyser said. “It feels really good.”
Getting used to being on another roster might be a little weird, if increasingly familiar.
He went from playing college hockey for Western Michigan to an abbreviated rookie run with the Detroit Red Wings in 2013, playing in 11 regular season contests and two postseason games, the last of which resulted in that injury.
Grand Rapids head coach Jeff Blashill seems confident that DeKeyser will fit right in, much like he did pretty seamlessly with the Red Wings.
“The two things that Danny does are skate great, and he’s really smart,” Blashill said. “Those types of people usually adapt very well to different situations. I expect him to adapt very well coming in to play for us.”
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 6
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)