Jun 7, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Is Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky really thinking of leaving the NHL for the KHL, or is his flirtation with SKA St. Petersburg just a negotiation tactic?
That’s the question Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekalainen has to be asking himself as contract talks with the Vezina Trophy finalist struggle along.
Bobrovsky has confirmed to Russia’s Sport-Express that he’s talking to both the Blue Jackets and SKA, but he wasn’t willing to share anything more.
The 24-year-old restricted free agent played for SKA during the lockout, posting an impressive 18-3-2 record with a .932 save percentage, and there’s apparently “big money on the table” for him if he’s willing to go back.
It seems extremely unlikely the Blue Jackets would match the amount of money that SKA is rumored to be offering (upwards of $8 million annually), but the KHL is not the best league in the world. That honor belongs to the NHL.
It’s possible this poker game goes on for a while, as we’ve seen in the past with star RFAs.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)