Jun 7, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Is Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky really thinking of leaving the NHL for the KHL, or is his flirtation with SKA St. Petersburg just a negotiation tactic?
That’s the question Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekalainen has to be asking himself as contract talks with the Vezina Trophy finalist struggle along.
Bobrovsky has confirmed to Russia’s Sport-Express that he’s talking to both the Blue Jackets and SKA, but he wasn’t willing to share anything more.
The 24-year-old restricted free agent played for SKA during the lockout, posting an impressive 18-3-2 record with a .932 save percentage, and there’s apparently “big money on the table” for him if he’s willing to go back.
It seems extremely unlikely the Blue Jackets would match the amount of money that SKA is rumored to be offering (upwards of $8 million annually), but the KHL is not the best league in the world. That honor belongs to the NHL.
It’s possible this poker game goes on for a while, as we’ve seen in the past with star RFAs.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)