Jun 7, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
Is Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky really thinking of leaving the NHL for the KHL, or is his flirtation with SKA St. Petersburg just a negotiation tactic?
That’s the question Columbus general manager Jarmo Kekalainen has to be asking himself as contract talks with the Vezina Trophy finalist struggle along.
Bobrovsky has confirmed to Russia’s Sport-Express that he’s talking to both the Blue Jackets and SKA, but he wasn’t willing to share anything more.
The 24-year-old restricted free agent played for SKA during the lockout, posting an impressive 18-3-2 record with a .932 save percentage, and there’s apparently “big money on the table” for him if he’s willing to go back.
It seems extremely unlikely the Blue Jackets would match the amount of money that SKA is rumored to be offering (upwards of $8 million annually), but the KHL is not the best league in the world. That honor belongs to the NHL.
It’s possible this poker game goes on for a while, as we’ve seen in the past with star RFAs.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)