Jun 7, 2013, 12:55 AM EDT
Bryan Bickell is putting the puck in the net at a tremendous rate in these playoffs, and he doesn’t show signs of really slowing down.
He scored again Thursday, as the Chicago Blackhawks came back to beat the L.A. Kings by a final score of 3-2 and took a 3-1 series lead in the best-of-seven Western Conference final.
His wrist shot handcuffed Kings’ goalie Jonathan Quick, evening the score at 1-1 in the first period.
Bickell has scored a goal in each of the last three games and has eight in the post-season. That puts him alongside teammate Patrick Sharp for second among NHL players in goals these playoffs.
He isn’t flashy. The reason for his success is as simple as it gets this time of year.
Bickell is eligible for unrestricted free agency this summer, and, based on his performance this spring, he’s on his way to a big raise.
He is currently in the final year of a three-year, $1.625 million contract.
Bickell could’ve had two goals Thursday, but teammate Patrick Kane got his stick on the puck as it trickled toward the net. It was Kane’s first goal of the series.
Bickell deflected a Niklas Hjalmarsson point shot, and the puck got through Quick, but Kane tapped it into the open net.
“Just to make sure it goes in, I’ll take it. He’ll take it, too, to give him a little spark,” said Bickell, as per a tweet from Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 76
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 61
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7