Jun 6, 2013, 9:49 AM EST
It looks like Sergei Gonchar might have played in his last NHL game.
This would be Gonchar’s third stint with the Russian club after playing for them during the last two lockouts. He had three goals and 29 points in 37 contests with Magnitogorsk in 2012-13.
The 39-year-old defenseman would be playing under former NHL coach Mike Keenan, who recently signed with Magnitogorsk.
If this is the end of Gonchar’s NHL career, he’ll be leaving as a Stanley Cup champion, four-time All-Star and with 775 points in 1,177 career contests.
Of course, that’s getting ahead of ourselves. Nothing is official. He could still end up signing with the Ottawa Senators or somewhere else for that matter.
Still, if he does sign with Magnitogorsk, the next — and possibly last — time a large North American audience sees him play professionally might be the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 50
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (50)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)