Jun 6, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
It looks like Sergei Gonchar might have played in his last NHL game.
This would be Gonchar’s third stint with the Russian club after playing for them during the last two lockouts. He had three goals and 29 points in 37 contests with Magnitogorsk in 2012-13.
The 39-year-old defenseman would be playing under former NHL coach Mike Keenan, who recently signed with Magnitogorsk.
If this is the end of Gonchar’s NHL career, he’ll be leaving as a Stanley Cup champion, four-time All-Star and with 775 points in 1,177 career contests.
Of course, that’s getting ahead of ourselves. Nothing is official. He could still end up signing with the Ottawa Senators or somewhere else for that matter.
Still, if he does sign with Magnitogorsk, the next — and possibly last — time a large North American audience sees him play professionally might be the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)