Jun 6, 2013, 9:49 AM EST
It looks like Sergei Gonchar might have played in his last NHL game.
This would be Gonchar’s third stint with the Russian club after playing for them during the last two lockouts. He had three goals and 29 points in 37 contests with Magnitogorsk in 2012-13.
The 39-year-old defenseman would be playing under former NHL coach Mike Keenan, who recently signed with Magnitogorsk.
If this is the end of Gonchar’s NHL career, he’ll be leaving as a Stanley Cup champion, four-time All-Star and with 775 points in 1,177 career contests.
Of course, that’s getting ahead of ourselves. Nothing is official. He could still end up signing with the Ottawa Senators or somewhere else for that matter.
Still, if he does sign with Magnitogorsk, the next — and possibly last — time a large North American audience sees him play professionally might be the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)