Jun 6, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
NHL coaching candidate Dallas Eakins is off to Vancouver for a second interview with the Canucks, according to TSN.
Eakins, currently the bench boss of the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, has a summer window in his contract to explore opportunities in the NHL.
Per The Province, Eakins is indeed an intriguing candidate to the Canucks, who fired head coach Alain Vigneault after the playoffs. However, Eakins’ lack of coaching experience in the NHL is a concern.
That’s why L.A. Kings assistant John Stevens continues to be the betting favourite locally, even though the Canucks won’t be able to interview him until his team is out of the playoffs.
Here’s the question I keep hearing: How can Stevens be the favourite if he hasn’t interviewed and Eakins will have done two sit-downs with Gillis?
The answer is all about his resume.
Not only has Stevens been a head coach, he’s done it in Philadelphia, one of the more demanding markets in the league.
He’s won a Calder Cup as a head coach and a Stanley Cup as an assistant.
As for Eakins, he’s also reportedly a candidate for head-coaching jobs in New York (Rangers) and Dallas, as well as an associate’s position in Edmonton.
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 2
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)