Jun 6, 2013, 11:33 AM EDT
NHL coaching candidate Dallas Eakins is off to Vancouver for a second interview with the Canucks, according to TSN.
Eakins, currently the bench boss of the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, has a summer window in his contract to explore opportunities in the NHL.
Per The Province, Eakins is indeed an intriguing candidate to the Canucks, who fired head coach Alain Vigneault after the playoffs. However, Eakins’ lack of coaching experience in the NHL is a concern.
That’s why L.A. Kings assistant John Stevens continues to be the betting favourite locally, even though the Canucks won’t be able to interview him until his team is out of the playoffs.
Here’s the question I keep hearing: How can Stevens be the favourite if he hasn’t interviewed and Eakins will have done two sit-downs with Gillis?
The answer is all about his resume.
Not only has Stevens been a head coach, he’s done it in Philadelphia, one of the more demanding markets in the league.
He’s won a Calder Cup as a head coach and a Stanley Cup as an assistant.
As for Eakins, he’s also reportedly a candidate for head-coaching jobs in New York (Rangers) and Dallas, as well as an associate’s position in Edmonton.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)