Jun 6, 2013, 8:05 AM EST
After a 95 minute marathon, the Boston Bruins have taken a 3-0 series lead over Pittsburgh. The Penguins have only scored two goals in this series and after acquiring a several key players before the trade deadline, Pittsburgh is now on the verge of elimination.
That series will continue on Friday, but in the meantime…
Los Angeles Kings host Chicago Blackhawks (9:00 p.m. ET, NBCSN/Live Extra)
Chicago leads 2-1
After Tuesday’s win, the Los Angeles Kings are now 8-0 at home, which puts them just three victories shy of tying the record for consecutive home playoff wins. Of course, to have a shot at that mark, they’ll have to advance to the Stanley Cup finals.
For the third straight game, the Kings will probably need to get by without forward Mike Richards, who is believed to have suffered a concussion in Game 1.
Richards was on the ice yesterday, but it was only a “light workout” and didn’t involve contact drills. Anything is possible, but it would be surprising if Richards went from that to being game ready in the span of just one day.
But the Kings aren’t the only ones that will have to deal with a big hole in their lineup. Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith has been handed a one-game suspension for slashing Kings forward Jeff Carter. Keith has been averaging 24:44 minutes per game in the playoffs and losing him, even for a short time, is easily one of the worst setbacks that the Blackhawks could be asked to endure.
“Duncs is important in all areas,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago. “You talk about special teams, big minutes, how we defend, how we get activated on the back end, his leadership and compete level. He’s everything you want in a defenseman.”
His absence, combined with the Kings success at the Staples Center throughout the 2013 campaign, makes Los Angeles look like the favorite tonight despite Chicago’s 2-1 series edge. However, one potential game changer is Chicago’s Patrick Kane, who has struggled lately with just two assists in his last seven games.
Quenneville said that the team is “looking for a little more” from Kane and he is due for a bounce back game.
The stakes are high for the Kings tonight. They already need to win at least one road game to advance to the Stanley Cup finals. If they lose tonight, they’ll have to sweep the remaining two contests in Chicago.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:53 PM EST
Plus, the Rangers have issues.
Dec 12, 2013, 3:31 PM EST
Coyotes hoping “it’s not long, long-term.”
Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Activated off IR, will face the Flames in Calgary tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EST
Helped the Flames win their first and only Stanley Cup in 1989.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Game goes March 1 (on NBC).
Dec 12, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
News and notes from the blue paint…
Dec 12, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
Will get an MRI tomorrow.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
“We want black and blue hockey.”
Dec 12, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
He broke in as a 19-year-old during the 2011-12 campaign.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Former Oilers draftee had been with AHL Adirondack.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Buffalo’s in Ottawa to play the Sens tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:37 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
Assistant general manager John Weisbrod also relieved of duties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
Montreal’s in town tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Club looking to snap a three-game winless streak.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
File under “things that happen when a team is co-owned by fierce competitors.”
Dec 12, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
Bit of a shakeup in Ottawa.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:39 AM EST
He was injured on a hit by fellow Tampa Bay prospect Adam Erne.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:20 AM EST
He could be back in the lineup next week.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:12 AM EST
They’ve dug themselves a big hole early on.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 30
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 80
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)