Jun 6, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Mike Modano is thrilled that Jim Nill agreed to take the Stars’ general manager gig.
He’s just not sure how they lured him away from Detroit.
“Jim Nill has been sought after for a long time from a number of teams in the league,” Modano told KESN-FM radio Dallas, as per the Morning News. “How we got him to agree to come to Dallas, no one really knows.”
It’s believed Nill, who served as Ken Holland’s assistant GM in Detroit for 14 years, has been at the top of a number of organization’s wish lists for quite some time.
It’s also believed he’s essentially had his choice of jobs.
Several media outlets have likened Dallas’ acquisition of Nill to landing a prized free agent — his encyclopedic knowledge of the league and his cap management skills make him one of the NHL’s most well-rounded (and well-respected) front office people.
Just ask Modano.
“He’s one of the masterminds behind the Wings, him and Kenny Holland,” Modano explained. “He knows everything about the game. He knows personnel. He knows everything that’s going on.
“He’s so prepared and diligent with what he does. I think we were very fortunate and lucky.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)