Jun 6, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Mike Modano is thrilled that Jim Nill agreed to take the Stars’ general manager gig.
He’s just not sure how they lured him away from Detroit.
“Jim Nill has been sought after for a long time from a number of teams in the league,” Modano told KESN-FM radio Dallas, as per the Morning News. “How we got him to agree to come to Dallas, no one really knows.”
It’s believed Nill, who served as Ken Holland’s assistant GM in Detroit for 14 years, has been at the top of a number of organization’s wish lists for quite some time.
It’s also believed he’s essentially had his choice of jobs.
Several media outlets have likened Dallas’ acquisition of Nill to landing a prized free agent — his encyclopedic knowledge of the league and his cap management skills make him one of the NHL’s most well-rounded (and well-respected) front office people.
Just ask Modano.
“He’s one of the masterminds behind the Wings, him and Kenny Holland,” Modano explained. “He knows everything about the game. He knows personnel. He knows everything that’s going on.
“He’s so prepared and diligent with what he does. I think we were very fortunate and lucky.”
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)