Jun 6, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Mike Modano is thrilled that Jim Nill agreed to take the Stars’ general manager gig.
He’s just not sure how they lured him away from Detroit.
“Jim Nill has been sought after for a long time from a number of teams in the league,” Modano told KESN-FM radio Dallas, as per the Morning News. “How we got him to agree to come to Dallas, no one really knows.”
It’s believed Nill, who served as Ken Holland’s assistant GM in Detroit for 14 years, has been at the top of a number of organization’s wish lists for quite some time.
It’s also believed he’s essentially had his choice of jobs.
Several media outlets have likened Dallas’ acquisition of Nill to landing a prized free agent — his encyclopedic knowledge of the league and his cap management skills make him one of the NHL’s most well-rounded (and well-respected) front office people.
Just ask Modano.
“He’s one of the masterminds behind the Wings, him and Kenny Holland,” Modano explained. “He knows everything about the game. He knows personnel. He knows everything that’s going on.
“He’s so prepared and diligent with what he does. I think we were very fortunate and lucky.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5