Jun 6, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Kopitar, L.A.’s leading scorer during the regular season, will be skating on what — at least according to the lineup card — is the Kings’ third line when they face the Blackhawks tonight.
Here’s how Kings head coach Darryl Sutter explained the move:
COACH SUTTER: We just moved Kopy (Kopitar) more into a quieter role, that’s all. Wasn’t really Jarret.
QUESTION: A quieter role meaning going up not the top six, the lower six?
COACH SUTTER: Yeah. And, quite honestly, you’re playing so many games in a short period of time, if you break the minutes down again, Kopy still played 20 minutes the other night. Everybody’s top players still play.
Kopitar has struggled to produce this postseason, scoring just seven points in 16 games. He doesn’t have a single point in the Western Conference finals and only has three shots on goal in three games.
In putting Kopitar with King and Lewis, Sutter looks as though he’s trying to free the big Slovenian from matchups against Chicago’s top six. The ‘Hawks have been able to focus more attention on Kopitar with Mike Richards out of the lineup.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 11
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)