Jun 6, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Kopitar, L.A.’s leading scorer during the regular season, will be skating on what — at least according to the lineup card — is the Kings’ third line when they face the Blackhawks tonight.
Here’s how Kings head coach Darryl Sutter explained the move:
COACH SUTTER: We just moved Kopy (Kopitar) more into a quieter role, that’s all. Wasn’t really Jarret.
QUESTION: A quieter role meaning going up not the top six, the lower six?
COACH SUTTER: Yeah. And, quite honestly, you’re playing so many games in a short period of time, if you break the minutes down again, Kopy still played 20 minutes the other night. Everybody’s top players still play.
Kopitar has struggled to produce this postseason, scoring just seven points in 16 games. He doesn’t have a single point in the Western Conference finals and only has three shots on goal in three games.
In putting Kopitar with King and Lewis, Sutter looks as though he’s trying to free the big Slovenian from matchups against Chicago’s top six. The ‘Hawks have been able to focus more attention on Kopitar with Mike Richards out of the lineup.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 6
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)