Jun 6, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
Kopitar, L.A.’s leading scorer during the regular season, will be skating on what — at least according to the lineup card — is the Kings’ third line when they face the Blackhawks tonight.
Here’s how Kings head coach Darryl Sutter explained the move:
COACH SUTTER: We just moved Kopy (Kopitar) more into a quieter role, that’s all. Wasn’t really Jarret.
QUESTION: A quieter role meaning going up not the top six, the lower six?
COACH SUTTER: Yeah. And, quite honestly, you’re playing so many games in a short period of time, if you break the minutes down again, Kopy still played 20 minutes the other night. Everybody’s top players still play.
Kopitar has struggled to produce this postseason, scoring just seven points in 16 games. He doesn’t have a single point in the Western Conference finals and only has three shots on goal in three games.
In putting Kopitar with King and Lewis, Sutter looks as though he’s trying to free the big Slovenian from matchups against Chicago’s top six. The ‘Hawks have been able to focus more attention on Kopitar with Mike Richards out of the lineup.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)