Jun 6, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Richards, the Kings’ second-leading scorer this postseason, hasn’t played since absorbing a big Dave Bolland hit in the series opener.
The hit knocked Richards out of Games 2 and 3, though there was some optimism from L.A. on Wednesday when he took to the ice and skated with the Black Aces.
But, it appears he’s still a ways from returning.
Richards didn’t stake at all on Thursday — Sutter said the reason was because the club was “following protocol” — so it stands to reason the 28-year-old is dealing with a concussion or concussion-like symptoms.
It’ll be interesting to see how the Kings fare without Richards in the lineup. They responded well to his absence in Game 3, scoring more than two goals for the first time in five games, and won the faceoff battle 34-24.
That last number is key, because Richards was one of the Kings’ most active faceoff men this year, taking the third-most draws on the team.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)