Jun 6, 2013, 1:42 PM EDT
Richards, the Kings’ second-leading scorer this postseason, hasn’t played since absorbing a big Dave Bolland hit in the series opener.
The hit knocked Richards out of Games 2 and 3, though there was some optimism from L.A. on Wednesday when he took to the ice and skated with the Black Aces.
But, it appears he’s still a ways from returning.
Richards didn’t stake at all on Thursday — Sutter said the reason was because the club was “following protocol” — so it stands to reason the 28-year-old is dealing with a concussion or concussion-like symptoms.
It’ll be interesting to see how the Kings fare without Richards in the lineup. They responded well to his absence in Game 3, scoring more than two goals for the first time in five games, and won the faceoff battle 34-24.
That last number is key, because Richards was one of the Kings’ most active faceoff men this year, taking the third-most draws on the team.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)