Jun 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
He won that fight — although some would argue he should have ended up with a hooking penalty — and that led to Patrice Bergeron‘s game-winning goal, 95:19 minutes into the contest.
Bergeron sees Jagr battling along the boards as the perfect example of everyone buying into the Bruins’ system.
“He’s pretty much a legend,” Bergeron said, “he’s a guy that’s going to be in the Hall of Fame at some point, and he’s doing the little thing right there just to fight for the puck, and you notice that as a teammate, and it goes a long way, as I said, and we all need to do that.”
How far the Bruins will get remains to be seen, but Jagr’s efforts in this series are already historic. With three assists in his last two games, Jagr has tied Paul Coffey for fifth place on the NHL’s all-time playoff points leaderboard.
Both players have 196 points, but passing Coffey would probably be the last move he can make on that list. Glenn Anderson’s hold on fourth place with 214 points seems safe for now.
If you want to see Bergeron’s winner and the setup by Jagr, here it is:
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)