Jun 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
He won that fight — although some would argue he should have ended up with a hooking penalty — and that led to Patrice Bergeron‘s game-winning goal, 95:19 minutes into the contest.
Bergeron sees Jagr battling along the boards as the perfect example of everyone buying into the Bruins’ system.
“He’s pretty much a legend,” Bergeron said, “he’s a guy that’s going to be in the Hall of Fame at some point, and he’s doing the little thing right there just to fight for the puck, and you notice that as a teammate, and it goes a long way, as I said, and we all need to do that.”
How far the Bruins will get remains to be seen, but Jagr’s efforts in this series are already historic. With three assists in his last two games, Jagr has tied Paul Coffey for fifth place on the NHL’s all-time playoff points leaderboard.
Both players have 196 points, but passing Coffey would probably be the last move he can make on that list. Glenn Anderson’s hold on fourth place with 214 points seems safe for now.
If you want to see Bergeron’s winner and the setup by Jagr, here it is:
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)