Jun 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
He won that fight — although some would argue he should have ended up with a hooking penalty — and that led to Patrice Bergeron‘s game-winning goal, 95:19 minutes into the contest.
Bergeron sees Jagr battling along the boards as the perfect example of everyone buying into the Bruins’ system.
“He’s pretty much a legend,” Bergeron said, “he’s a guy that’s going to be in the Hall of Fame at some point, and he’s doing the little thing right there just to fight for the puck, and you notice that as a teammate, and it goes a long way, as I said, and we all need to do that.”
How far the Bruins will get remains to be seen, but Jagr’s efforts in this series are already historic. With three assists in his last two games, Jagr has tied Paul Coffey for fifth place on the NHL’s all-time playoff points leaderboard.
Both players have 196 points, but passing Coffey would probably be the last move he can make on that list. Glenn Anderson’s hold on fourth place with 214 points seems safe for now.
If you want to see Bergeron’s winner and the setup by Jagr, here it is:
- Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments 0
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 37
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)