Jun 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
He won that fight — although some would argue he should have ended up with a hooking penalty — and that led to Patrice Bergeron‘s game-winning goal, 95:19 minutes into the contest.
Bergeron sees Jagr battling along the boards as the perfect example of everyone buying into the Bruins’ system.
“He’s pretty much a legend,” Bergeron said, “he’s a guy that’s going to be in the Hall of Fame at some point, and he’s doing the little thing right there just to fight for the puck, and you notice that as a teammate, and it goes a long way, as I said, and we all need to do that.”
How far the Bruins will get remains to be seen, but Jagr’s efforts in this series are already historic. With three assists in his last two games, Jagr has tied Paul Coffey for fifth place on the NHL’s all-time playoff points leaderboard.
Both players have 196 points, but passing Coffey would probably be the last move he can make on that list. Glenn Anderson’s hold on fourth place with 214 points seems safe for now.
If you want to see Bergeron’s winner and the setup by Jagr, here it is:
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)