Jun 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
An NHL game between the Flyers and Penguins at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium could become a reality soon.
“We have spoken to the Pens and the league about expressing our combined interest,” Flyers president Peter Luukko told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday. “Not sure if next year is a possibility. Penn State is very interested.”
CSN Philly has more on the story.
Beaver Stadium is an obvious potential venue for an outdoor game. It holds over 100,000 fans for football, and with the popularity of the NHL in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, a meeting between the Flyers and Pens would surely draw a full house.
So…perhaps the 2015 Winter Classic? If Penn State is willing to push back its “winterization” of the stadium until after New Year’s Day (it normally occurs in December), it has to be right up there on the list.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)