Jun 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
An NHL game between the Flyers and Penguins at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium could become a reality soon.
“We have spoken to the Pens and the league about expressing our combined interest,” Flyers president Peter Luukko told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday. “Not sure if next year is a possibility. Penn State is very interested.”
CSN Philly has more on the story.
Beaver Stadium is an obvious potential venue for an outdoor game. It holds over 100,000 fans for football, and with the popularity of the NHL in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, a meeting between the Flyers and Pens would surely draw a full house.
So…perhaps the 2015 Winter Classic? If Penn State is willing to push back its “winterization” of the stadium until after New Year’s Day (it normally occurs in December), it has to be right up there on the list.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)