Jun 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
An NHL game between the Flyers and Penguins at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium could become a reality soon.
“We have spoken to the Pens and the league about expressing our combined interest,” Flyers president Peter Luukko told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday. “Not sure if next year is a possibility. Penn State is very interested.”
CSN Philly has more on the story.
Beaver Stadium is an obvious potential venue for an outdoor game. It holds over 100,000 fans for football, and with the popularity of the NHL in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, a meeting between the Flyers and Pens would surely draw a full house.
So…perhaps the 2015 Winter Classic? If Penn State is willing to push back its “winterization” of the stadium until after New Year’s Day (it normally occurs in December), it has to be right up there on the list.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 62
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17