Jun 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
An NHL game between the Flyers and Penguins at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium could become a reality soon.
“We have spoken to the Pens and the league about expressing our combined interest,” Flyers president Peter Luukko told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday. “Not sure if next year is a possibility. Penn State is very interested.”
CSN Philly has more on the story.
Beaver Stadium is an obvious potential venue for an outdoor game. It holds over 100,000 fans for football, and with the popularity of the NHL in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, a meeting between the Flyers and Pens would surely draw a full house.
So…perhaps the 2015 Winter Classic? If Penn State is willing to push back its “winterization” of the stadium until after New Year’s Day (it normally occurs in December), it has to be right up there on the list.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 2
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)