Jun 6, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
An NHL game between the Flyers and Penguins at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium could become a reality soon.
“We have spoken to the Pens and the league about expressing our combined interest,” Flyers president Peter Luukko told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday. “Not sure if next year is a possibility. Penn State is very interested.”
CSN Philly has more on the story.
Beaver Stadium is an obvious potential venue for an outdoor game. It holds over 100,000 fans for football, and with the popularity of the NHL in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, a meeting between the Flyers and Pens would surely draw a full house.
So…perhaps the 2015 Winter Classic? If Penn State is willing to push back its “winterization” of the stadium until after New Year’s Day (it normally occurs in December), it has to be right up there on the list.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)