Jun 6, 2013, 9:01 PM EST
Just how flat is the Pittsburgh offense right now?
Well, the Penguins scored 13 goals in their first three games of the Islanders series, and nine in the first three games of the Ottawa series.
Through three games against Boston, they have 110 shots on net.
And just two goals to show for it.
It’s an alarming lack of production, but one that will soon change, according to winger Pascal Dupuis.
“Eventually they’ll go in,” Dupuis said on Thursday. “We know that with the firepower that we have on our team.
“Eventually, they will go in.”
Dupuis came into the Boston series tied for the team and NHL goalscoring lead, with seven, but has failed to make much of an impact offensively through the first three games.
He registered his first and only point on Wednesday — the secondary assist on Chris Kunitz‘s marker — and is still lumped in with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, James Neal and Jarome Iginla as Pittsburgh forwards that have yet to find the back of the net against Boston.
That said, one of the two Penguins to actually score a goal this series — Brandon Sutter — says he sees signs that the Pens are ready to break out on offense.
“I think we need to stay positive with what we did [in Game 3] offensively and build on that,” he explained. “I don’t think we’re concerned about not being able to score, at least with the way we played last night and the offensive opportunities we created.
“We’ve got to find a way to get a few in obviously, but by no means are we going to panic about not scoring goals.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)