Jun 6, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Just how flat is the Pittsburgh offense right now?
Well, the Penguins scored 13 goals in their first three games of the Islanders series, and nine in the first three games of the Ottawa series.
Through three games against Boston, they have 110 shots on net.
And just two goals to show for it.
It’s an alarming lack of production, but one that will soon change, according to winger Pascal Dupuis.
“Eventually they’ll go in,” Dupuis said on Thursday. “We know that with the firepower that we have on our team.
“Eventually, they will go in.”
Dupuis came into the Boston series tied for the team and NHL goalscoring lead, with seven, but has failed to make much of an impact offensively through the first three games.
He registered his first and only point on Wednesday — the secondary assist on Chris Kunitz‘s marker — and is still lumped in with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, James Neal and Jarome Iginla as Pittsburgh forwards that have yet to find the back of the net against Boston.
That said, one of the two Penguins to actually score a goal this series — Brandon Sutter — says he sees signs that the Pens are ready to break out on offense.
“I think we need to stay positive with what we did [in Game 3] offensively and build on that,” he explained. “I don’t think we’re concerned about not being able to score, at least with the way we played last night and the offensive opportunities we created.
“We’ve got to find a way to get a few in obviously, but by no means are we going to panic about not scoring goals.”
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 0
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 13
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 20
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12