Jun 6, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Just how flat is the Pittsburgh offense right now?
Well, the Penguins scored 13 goals in their first three games of the Islanders series, and nine in the first three games of the Ottawa series.
Through three games against Boston, they have 110 shots on net.
And just two goals to show for it.
It’s an alarming lack of production, but one that will soon change, according to winger Pascal Dupuis.
“Eventually they’ll go in,” Dupuis said on Thursday. “We know that with the firepower that we have on our team.
“Eventually, they will go in.”
Dupuis came into the Boston series tied for the team and NHL goalscoring lead, with seven, but has failed to make much of an impact offensively through the first three games.
He registered his first and only point on Wednesday — the secondary assist on Chris Kunitz‘s marker — and is still lumped in with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, James Neal and Jarome Iginla as Pittsburgh forwards that have yet to find the back of the net against Boston.
That said, one of the two Penguins to actually score a goal this series — Brandon Sutter — says he sees signs that the Pens are ready to break out on offense.
“I think we need to stay positive with what we did [in Game 3] offensively and build on that,” he explained. “I don’t think we’re concerned about not being able to score, at least with the way we played last night and the offensive opportunities we created.
“We’ve got to find a way to get a few in obviously, but by no means are we going to panic about not scoring goals.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)