Jun 6, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Just how flat is the Pittsburgh offense right now?
Well, the Penguins scored 13 goals in their first three games of the Islanders series, and nine in the first three games of the Ottawa series.
Through three games against Boston, they have 110 shots on net.
And just two goals to show for it.
It’s an alarming lack of production, but one that will soon change, according to winger Pascal Dupuis.
“Eventually they’ll go in,” Dupuis said on Thursday. “We know that with the firepower that we have on our team.
“Eventually, they will go in.”
Dupuis came into the Boston series tied for the team and NHL goalscoring lead, with seven, but has failed to make much of an impact offensively through the first three games.
He registered his first and only point on Wednesday — the secondary assist on Chris Kunitz‘s marker — and is still lumped in with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, James Neal and Jarome Iginla as Pittsburgh forwards that have yet to find the back of the net against Boston.
That said, one of the two Penguins to actually score a goal this series — Brandon Sutter — says he sees signs that the Pens are ready to break out on offense.
“I think we need to stay positive with what we did [in Game 3] offensively and build on that,” he explained. “I don’t think we’re concerned about not being able to score, at least with the way we played last night and the offensive opportunities we created.
“We’ve got to find a way to get a few in obviously, but by no means are we going to panic about not scoring goals.”
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)