Jun 6, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Just how flat is the Pittsburgh offense right now?
Well, the Penguins scored 13 goals in their first three games of the Islanders series, and nine in the first three games of the Ottawa series.
Through three games against Boston, they have 110 shots on net.
And just two goals to show for it.
It’s an alarming lack of production, but one that will soon change, according to winger Pascal Dupuis.
“Eventually they’ll go in,” Dupuis said on Thursday. “We know that with the firepower that we have on our team.
“Eventually, they will go in.”
Dupuis came into the Boston series tied for the team and NHL goalscoring lead, with seven, but has failed to make much of an impact offensively through the first three games.
He registered his first and only point on Wednesday — the secondary assist on Chris Kunitz‘s marker — and is still lumped in with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, James Neal and Jarome Iginla as Pittsburgh forwards that have yet to find the back of the net against Boston.
That said, one of the two Penguins to actually score a goal this series — Brandon Sutter — says he sees signs that the Pens are ready to break out on offense.
“I think we need to stay positive with what we did [in Game 3] offensively and build on that,” he explained. “I don’t think we’re concerned about not being able to score, at least with the way we played last night and the offensive opportunities we created.
“We’ve got to find a way to get a few in obviously, but by no means are we going to panic about not scoring goals.”
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)