Jun 6, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
The defending Stanley Cup champions are in real danger of not making it back to the final.
The L.A. Kings lost Game 4 of the Western Conference final to the Chicago Blackhawks by a final score of 3-2, and now trail in the best-of-seven series 3-1.
They now face elimination, and must beat the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners three straight times to win this series.
- Bryan Bickell just continues to put the puck in the net. He fluttered a wrist shot past Jonathan Quick in the first period for his eighth goal of these playoffs. Oh yeah, he’s eligible for unrestricted free agency this summer. In line for a big raise.
- Patrick Kane scored his first goal of this series, and the timing couldn’t have been better. Kane’s goal at 18:21 of the second period got the Blackhawks even with the Kings at two-goals apiece.
- Marian Hossa scored the winner at 1:10 of the third period.
- Only twice in these playoffs have the Kings scored four goals in a game. Perhaps they just don’t have the fire power to win this series.
- Worst of all, the Kings had just one shot on goal through more than 18 minutes of the third period. Goals can be especially hard to come by if you don’t get shots on net.
- Corey Crawford made a poke check save off Justin Williams, who had a clean breakaway on the Blackhawks goalie early in the second period. The save came just after the Kings took a one-goal lead, and kept Chicago close, allowing Kane to score the equalizer.
- The Kings had won eight straight on home ice in these playoffs, prior to tonight. That streak is over.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)