Jun 6, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
The defending Stanley Cup champions are in real danger of not making it back to the final.
The L.A. Kings lost Game 4 of the Western Conference final to the Chicago Blackhawks by a final score of 3-2, and now trail in the best-of-seven series 3-1.
They now face elimination, and must beat the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners three straight times to win this series.
- Bryan Bickell just continues to put the puck in the net. He fluttered a wrist shot past Jonathan Quick in the first period for his eighth goal of these playoffs. Oh yeah, he’s eligible for unrestricted free agency this summer. In line for a big raise.
- Patrick Kane scored his first goal of this series, and the timing couldn’t have been better. Kane’s goal at 18:21 of the second period got the Blackhawks even with the Kings at two-goals apiece.
- Marian Hossa scored the winner at 1:10 of the third period.
- Only twice in these playoffs have the Kings scored four goals in a game. Perhaps they just don’t have the fire power to win this series.
- Worst of all, the Kings had just one shot on goal through more than 18 minutes of the third period. Goals can be especially hard to come by if you don’t get shots on net.
- Corey Crawford made a poke check save off Justin Williams, who had a clean breakaway on the Blackhawks goalie early in the second period. The save came just after the Kings took a one-goal lead, and kept Chicago close, allowing Kane to score the equalizer.
- The Kings had won eight straight on home ice in these playoffs, prior to tonight. That streak is over.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)