Discuss: Blackhawks take Game 4, end Kings’ home winning streak

Jun 6, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT

The defending Stanley Cup champions are in real danger of not making it back to the final.

The L.A. Kings lost Game 4 of the Western Conference final to the Chicago Blackhawks by a final score of 3-2, and now trail in the best-of-seven series 3-1.

They now face elimination, and must beat the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners three straight times to win this series.

Let’s discuss:

• Bryan Bickell just continues to put the puck in the net. He fluttered a wrist shot past Jonathan Quick in the first period for his eighth goal of these playoffs. Oh yeah, he’s eligible for unrestricted free agency this summer. In line for a big raise.
  • Patrick Kane scored his first goal of this series, and the timing couldn’t have been better. Kane’s goal at 18:21 of the second period got the Blackhawks even with the Kings at two-goals apiece.
  • Marian Hossa scored the winner at 1:10 of the third period.
  • Only twice in these playoffs have the Kings scored four goals in a game. Perhaps they just don’t have the fire power to win this series.
  • Worst of all, the Kings had just one shot on goal through more than 18 minutes of the third period. Goals can be especially hard to come by if you don’t get shots on net.
  • Corey Crawford made a poke check save off Justin Williams, who had a clean breakaway on the Blackhawks goalie early in the second period. The save came just after the Kings took a one-goal lead, and kept Chicago close, allowing Kane to score the equalizer.
  • The Kings had won eight straight on home ice in these playoffs, prior to tonight. That streak is over.
  1. ineedmorehossa - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I need more Hossa

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM

The guy is playing like a freaking BEAST…

This one is done.

Go HAWKS… from a RED WINGS fan.

• nunan - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Hawks v Bruins final? Hopefully..

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Absitively marvelous!

• 19to77 - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Damn. I’m late to the party.

• donttoewsme - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM

^ what he said

2. comeonnowguys - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Both King goals came on errors by the guy that stepped in for Keith. This ends next game.

• hammerhead5573 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Well……I gotta put some blame on Crawford for that one too, but your point is valid

• jhuck92 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:53 PM

The bottom line is they did it *without* Keith. You’re right, the ‘Hawks are winning this series at home on Saturday night.

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I couldn’t be HAPPIER that Keith’s crap suspension didn’t cost the Hawks a ‘gift game’.

Nice Job Hawks!

• slysipops - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

it wasn’t just BROOKBANK’S fault the HAWKS were running around and had too many players on one side of the ice and no one covering the point. BROOKBANK did not have a strong game BUT it was okayand don’t forget,he hasn’t played in 2 months!

3. hammerhead5573 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM

4 observations:
    1) That is the Kane we need to see the rest of the playoffs. that was Hjalmerson’s goal but Kane was near the net. which he rarely has been doing
    2) The 4th game is the hardest to win, but love the Hawks chances.
    3) Hello: Keith
    4) Goodbye: Penner

• themohel - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Keith deserved his game off; can’t do that. That said, Penner hit Bolland with a fly-by elbow that reminded me of Torres (not on Hossa, just in general). He should also get a game.

• hammerhead5573 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM

No arguments from me. I said multiple times, Keith should not have done what he did.

• ronthecubsfan - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM

1) Bickell’s goal, but let’s not sweat details.

• hammerhead5573 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Sorry Bickell’s goal not Hjalmerson

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I’ve come to realize…what ALL Blackhawks fans need to face up to..

Kane is a SUPPORT player… not a star or leader. He dogs it on dump in’s… waiting for ‘OTHERS’ to gather the garbage. He dog’s it on back checks… he sits and WAITS

• blackhawksdynasty - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Hard to argue most of that. I’d like to see Chicago trade Kane to make room for a new deal for Bickell. Despite his downfalls, Kane could still fetch a nice return on the trade market.

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM

You nailed it blackhawksdynasy… next to Hossa and Crawford… Bickell is easily the third star.

Which totally fried my Red Wings bacon… the dude is a difference maker EVERY night!!!

• Jackson Scofield - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM

You have not watched much of Patrick Kane, he’s a play maker, not a play recipient

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Very wrong Jackson… very very wrong.

Read the facts… there’s a REASON he was put on the Toews Line tonight… it’s because Kane hasn’t been towing his own line…and has failed.

The guy has played like a freaking leach off others and generated NOTHING.

• billranford - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM

polegojim, you are the one that is wrong. You obviously have not watched Kane this season if you think he is not a playmaker. You watch a few off games in the playoffs and you think you are an expert. It might be a good idea to leave the analysis to the people who have watched him enough to have an educated opinion.

• slysipops - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM

you got that right! the BRUINS HORTON is up for a contract …would love to see the HAWKS talk BOSTON into a KANE FOR HORTON TRADE !

• florida727 - Jun 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM

#polego and #dynasty, do either of you know anything at all about hockey skills? First and foremost, Patrick Kane is one of the most gifted skaters and puck handlers in hockey. Secondly, because of his strengths (already mentioned) he’s supposed to be the second guy in on a dump-in chase. The first guy in always assumes the “body” role, the second guy in is the guy assigned to actually get the puck and make a play with it.

Kane is a support player? You’re freaking delusional. His next contract will show you what kind of a “support” player he is. Trading him? I can only think of 29 other teams that are hoping you’re right. That would be the stupidest move management could make, which considering their history, is saying something. Physical players are a dime-a-dozen, they come and go. Elite, skill players are worth their weight in gold. See: Gretzky, Wayne.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I’m more inclined to agree than disagree. I don’t need Kane to score goals. I need him to facilitate and keep the puck away from the other team. Advance it down the middle out of their zone. Get the unshootable rebounds and bring it back out to reset the offense. Make the pass when everyone sucks down on him.

I guess the latter will stop working if everyone knows he’s going to pass, so yeah, he’s gotta shoot, but I’m perfectly fine with last night’s version of Patrick Kane.

• blackhawksdynasty - Jun 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

@florida727:
        I’ve been watching Kane since day one. He’s a great player, BUT…
        You obviously can’t see the bigger picture. The Hawks have a major hole in the #2 center spot. Emery will likely be gone next year, along with Stalberg and probably Bickell. Dollar for dollar, Bickell is more valuable than Kane. 88 sells tickets and merchandise, which is nice and all, but Chicago has no size or grit – and more than enough skill and speed. Chicago needs to shed salary to retain a solid ALL-AROUND team. Kane is worth more in a trade than he is in a Hawks sweater.
        Apparently all you understand is “hockey skills”. If you had a true understanding of the big picture here, you’d realize you sound like a child trying to defend his hero. Learn a few things before you type next time.

4. kingsforever - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Have they played one game where they didn’t get more power plays? Doesn’t matter. bruins in 5.

• Jackson Scofield - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Yes, Game 3 in Los Angeles for example. And I very highly doubt Bruins win in 5 games. They are running over Pittsburgh and I could see the Hawks losing to them easily, but not in 5. Playing Pittsburgh would have been better for Hawks, both similar teams, Pittsburgh’s edge in offense smaller than Chicago’s in defense.

• esracerx46 - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM

OK I’m going to add a few things for you to think about. I’m not disagreeing but, Pittsburgh is similar to Chicago. I also heard Detroit is similar to Chicago and we saw how that went. Boston almost reminds me of LA with a little more offensive pop. Both are bigger teams that will finish their checks. Going into the playoffs those are teams that worried me. After I have seen how they have handled it its much less of a concern. And for those that say LA is out of gas after a 6 then 7 game series. That’s one more than the Hawks. I don’t buy the out of gas theory.

• blackhawksdynasty - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM

@ kings….thanks! You made me laugh! What a fool.
      LA will reserve their tee times before they fly to Chicago.

• 19to77 - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM

And the fairweather Kings fans are already inventing conspiracy excuses for losing the series at only three games to one. Music to my ears.

• fpstratton - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Simply stated, and I say this as a Kings’ fan for 43 years, the Blackhawks are more skilled up front, skate better, and have an outstanding transition from defense to offense that San Jose and St. Louis didn’t have. The Kings could use some more “speed” guys, a la Brad Richardson, in their lineup. Their brawn can’t overcome Chicago’s great skill in this series. That having been said, I think the Kings achieved a lot by returning to the Conference Finals the year after winning the Cup. They are proving to be, once again, one of the best teams in the NHL, and as a long-suffering Kings fan who saw countless winters and springs of discontent, I can live with these results.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Have they called a single high stick against the Hawks? There was a lot more “selling” from the Kings than I expected last night.

5. hrudey - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Well, as Sutter always says you don’t get anything for three, and the Blackhawks know that a 3-1 series lead isn’t a guarantee. But they’ve been the better team this series and while I expect the Kings to come out with an effort worthy of their status as defending champions, beating this Chicago team the next three games is a tall order.

6. hammerhead5573 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Umm by chance did you happen to see game 3? If not, check it out and you will get your answer

7. rocoop - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Another great game…It’s going to be tough,but it’s not over yet!

8. icelovinbrotha215 - Jun 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM

When your star players show up to play (Hossa, Kane & Toews), good things happen.

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I gotcha on Hossa and Toews… I’m pissed that Kane needs a freaking NURSE MAID to perform.

9. maalea - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Looks like an original 6 finals.

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM

That makes me VERY HAPPY!

Boston and Chicago… as it SHOULD be.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 AM

“As it should be” actually sounds kinda funny pole, as I don’t believe those two teams have ever met in the Finals! And I believe it would be the first “Original 6″ Finals since, I suspect, before most of the commenters on this board were born, 1979, Habs over the Rangers.

• polegojim - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Yes… Yes… and YES!

Your facts are correct… that makes it NOSTALGIC to the O-6 max.

Two powerhouses who have invested the blood and guts to BUILD a winner, not buy one.

Other than my Red Wings who GUTTED out an incredible year… I can’t think of two teams I’d rather watch battle it out.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Hey now, I was alive. I may have even been out of diapers!

10. Jackson Scofield - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Game 5 is still a must win for Chicago IMO, don’t want to give LA a chance to tie series on home ice

11. nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Does anyone else think it a bit lame how hard the Staples management have to work to try to get their fans to cheer. I mean, after 45+ years and a Cup, there seems a nearly constant barrage of that hideous, raspy “go Kings go” recording and numerous other annoyances, “I can’t hear you” etc. Could LA fans really not know when to cheer?

• jbakarat1945 - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM

when the kings play well (not tonight) the calls for cheers go down. im sure you dont know anything about that because blackhawks fans are the best and always cheer for their team even when they are playing poorly. they dont need any inspiration. they are the best!!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM

The Hawks most assuredly do the anthem the best! No one else is even close.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I was going to add: I used to live in LA and went to lots of Kings games back when they wore Forum blue and gold and you could get tickets for less than the price of a new car, and we always knew when to cheer. There might not have been many of us, nor many reasons to cheer, but we knew hockey.

• Jackson Scofield - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Don’t hate on Cartman

• fpstratton - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

As an Angelino, I must agree with you. If you think the Staples thing is bad, check out Dodger Stadium and how pathetically they have to get the fans to move a muscle. Back in the old days at the Forum in Inglewood, the fans didn’t need so many prompts to cheer, and the team stunk.

12. hawkeytown - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM

We all need more Hossa

13. rgledz - Jun 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Hey polegojim……Kaner had 55 points in the shortened season. 23 goals and 32 helpers. If that’s a guy who feeds off of others then you and I have a very different opinion on what a playmaker is. Kaner’s a stud and he makes everybody better.

• billranford - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM

It also makes perfect sense that leaches usually get moved to the top line to feed off of others and not contribute. If I were coaching an NHL team, I’d try to hide all of the lazy bums on the team right at the top of the lineup.

• tangentmechanic - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:09 AM

It took me soo long to see the sarcasm…

• fpstratton - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Patrick Kane is an outstanding player and talent. I would love for the Kings to have him.

14. ilikejay - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Yes, Kane has disappeared. But his regular season was awesome! He will break through eventually, Bickell and Toews really do make a nice front line and compliment each other well. Kane is small and can get clogged up, but he sees well and passes amazingly. He will bust out.

15. blomfeld - Jun 7, 2013 at 1:16 AM

GOOD-BYE ‘ASSORTED’ FRIENDS AND MAY GOD SPEED

For me personally, it’s been one helluva ride here at PHT and ‘that’ which the Kings have accomplished is now ‘set in stone’ for the ages. So I wish everyone well, even my detractors. However, I’d like to offer a special good-bye to my favorite ‘electronic’ friends of all, comrades Joey, Valois and Spotsfan69 … good-bye friends and take care always … comrade Blomfeld :)

• yustasayin - Jun 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Hey Cornfield, you say ” So I wish everyone well, even my detractors”! I hope you include the ‘Nucks, Gillis and everyone you trashed in ‘Couver. Like to applaud Gillis for getting under your skin and wish him success in the future.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Hey! Blomfeld, what up? You going on another of your golfing trips. Stick around and keep us entertained. Of course I’m not speaking for those with a tight you know what.

• blomfeld - Jun 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM

THOSE WITH TIGHT REAR ENDS ? … and perhaps no sense of humor ?

Comrade Valoisjoeybfeld69 – Friend, I’m not sure ‘who or what’ your deal is, however I’ll have you know that your handle ‘encapsulates’ the names of my three favorite electronic friends of all time … comrades Joey, Valoisvipers and Sportsfan69 ! :) Those were ‘great’ men who shared my take on life and today I miss them very much. :(

With our glorious Kings, I knew in my heart after yesterday’s loss that our time is soon coming to an end. In fact, I sensed this much earlier in the season, even as far back as February. Yet here we are today on June 7th 2013, already ‘innately’ knowing our fate, yet tasked with going through the motions of battle and ‘preordained’ destruction? In many ways, I liken this to the feelings which the ‘brave & honorable’ soldiers of General George Pickett’s divisions must have felt on the morning of July 3rd 1863, as they ‘fell in” to their formations for one last ‘glorious’ assault and the chance for victory & redemption. That ‘which will be will be’ as God does run the show after all, eh? So though I carry a heavy heart tonight, perhaps there exists a chance that this affair hasn’t been concluded just yet ? We’ll see tomorrow tomorrow friend …

16. loyallakingsfan35yrs - Jun 7, 2013 at 2:25 AM

NoThanksImDriving123. Thanks for your comments about the Kings Fans / Fabulous Forum.
    And to blomfild …where you going? It’s not over yet. Believe!
    I believe a few of our key players are injured. Save all your B.S. comments cause I don’t want to hear them. hey win or lose they are my team. go kings go

17. aldog83 - Jun 7, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Kopitar and Brown.

Non factors again.

Our 2nd year defense Voynov has more goals than Kopitar and Brown..
    COMBINED!

Goals from these guy could have saved our season tonight. Instead.

We are down 3-1.

Please shoot the puck!! Everyone!

In Quick we trust.

Bring it back to LA. Guys please!

Go Kings Go!

18. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jun 7, 2013 at 6:58 AM

And no one is happier than Duncan Kieth. Make sure to pick up the check next time you and Hossa sit down at one of the most expensive restaurants in Chicago.

19. countingthecost - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Glad the hawks won … It sure me it easier to get up for work after only 4 hours of sleep!…Ha… Looking to see them wrap it up Saturday and have an original 6 cup!!.. Go Hawks!!

20. cupcrazyhawkfan - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Getting that 2010 feeling again. I can watch that Hossa Snap shot over & over & over again. This is the best team assembled that I have seen in terms of their hockey IQ always in the right place defensively and play a great transition game. And finally any time Big Bick has a chance to shoot he should let it go.

21. bobthis - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

People have been counting the Kings out all year. Let’s just hang on and go for the ride. Go Kings!

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D