Jun 6, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
After the lockout wiped out the 2012 edition, the Vancouver Canucks Young Stars Classic will return in 2013.
That was the word out of Vancouver on Thursday as president and GM Mike Gillis announced the club’s annual prospects tourney would return to Pentiction, British Columbia for a third time.
“We’re pleased to host the Young Stars Classic in Penticton once again,” Gillis said in a statement. “Our fans, partners and the city of Penticton have made Young Stars a tremendous event over the past two tournaments and we look forward to continuing the tradition this year.”
Five teams — Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose and Winnipeg — will participate in the tourney, which began in 2010 and has seen a number of future NHLers suit up: Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Cam Fowler, Mikael Backlund, Chris Tanev, Zach Redmond, Aaron Volpatti and Magnus Paajarvi, to name a few.
The ’13 tournament will go from Sept. 5-9.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)