Jun 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
New Dallas general manager Jim Nill won’t rush the decision to hire the new head coach of the Stars, but if possible, he’d like one in place by June 30.
“There’s no set deadline. I’d like to have it done before the draft. It’d be nice. It’s nice to have your coach there during that,” Nill said Tuesday, per NHL.com. “But I’m not going to rush into something that’s not going to make sense. I’m going to be careful that way.”
Rangers general manager Glen Sather also said he’d like to have his new bench boss in place by the draft.
The Canucks are the only other team with a coaching vacancy.
Lindy Ruff, Alain Vigneault, Willie Desjardins, and Dallas Eakins are four potential candidates for the Stars job, according to TSN. Dave Tippett could be another, though his contract with the Phoenix Coyotes doesn’t expire until the end of the month.
“We’ve interviewed a lot of people and I’ve got more coming up. We’re looking at every angle, whether it’s top NHL coach or the top guys down in the development leagues,” Nill said.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 71
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (70)