Jun 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
New Dallas general manager Jim Nill won’t rush the decision to hire the new head coach of the Stars, but if possible, he’d like one in place by June 30.
“There’s no set deadline. I’d like to have it done before the draft. It’d be nice. It’s nice to have your coach there during that,” Nill said Tuesday, per NHL.com. “But I’m not going to rush into something that’s not going to make sense. I’m going to be careful that way.”
Rangers general manager Glen Sather also said he’d like to have his new bench boss in place by the draft.
The Canucks are the only other team with a coaching vacancy.
Lindy Ruff, Alain Vigneault, Willie Desjardins, and Dallas Eakins are four potential candidates for the Stars job, according to TSN. Dave Tippett could be another, though his contract with the Phoenix Coyotes doesn’t expire until the end of the month.
“We’ve interviewed a lot of people and I’ve got more coming up. We’re looking at every angle, whether it’s top NHL coach or the top guys down in the development leagues,” Nill said.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)