Jun 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
New Dallas general manager Jim Nill won’t rush the decision to hire the new head coach of the Stars, but if possible, he’d like one in place by June 30.
“There’s no set deadline. I’d like to have it done before the draft. It’d be nice. It’s nice to have your coach there during that,” Nill said Tuesday, per NHL.com. “But I’m not going to rush into something that’s not going to make sense. I’m going to be careful that way.”
Rangers general manager Glen Sather also said he’d like to have his new bench boss in place by the draft.
The Canucks are the only other team with a coaching vacancy.
Lindy Ruff, Alain Vigneault, Willie Desjardins, and Dallas Eakins are four potential candidates for the Stars job, according to TSN. Dave Tippett could be another, though his contract with the Phoenix Coyotes doesn’t expire until the end of the month.
“We’ve interviewed a lot of people and I’ve got more coming up. We’re looking at every angle, whether it’s top NHL coach or the top guys down in the development leagues,” Nill said.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 36
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)