Jun 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
New Dallas general manager Jim Nill won’t rush the decision to hire the new head coach of the Stars, but if possible, he’d like one in place by June 30.
“There’s no set deadline. I’d like to have it done before the draft. It’d be nice. It’s nice to have your coach there during that,” Nill said Tuesday, per NHL.com. “But I’m not going to rush into something that’s not going to make sense. I’m going to be careful that way.”
Rangers general manager Glen Sather also said he’d like to have his new bench boss in place by the draft.
The Canucks are the only other team with a coaching vacancy.
Lindy Ruff, Alain Vigneault, Willie Desjardins, and Dallas Eakins are four potential candidates for the Stars job, according to TSN. Dave Tippett could be another, though his contract with the Phoenix Coyotes doesn’t expire until the end of the month.
“We’ve interviewed a lot of people and I’ve got more coming up. We’re looking at every angle, whether it’s top NHL coach or the top guys down in the development leagues,” Nill said.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 12
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 8
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 31
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 110
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37