Jun 5, 2013, 9:53 AM EST
Of all the players eligible to test the unrestricted free agent market this summer, no one recorded as many points as Washington Capitals forward Mike Ribeiro. It’s not even close.
Capitals coach Adam Oates felt Ribeiro’s contributions were “huge” this season, but they might have to do without him all the same.
With a month left before the start of the free agent period, Riberio’s agent Don Meehan said that “there really aren’t any updates” as far as contract negotiations go, according to CSN Washington.
As much as Washington would like Ribeiro back, it’s not hard to see why he might be wearing a different jersey next season. With the salary cap going down to $64.3 million, the Capitals are in a cap crunch.
They still have to deal with restricted free agents Marcus Johansson and Karl Alzner. Washington will likely get some relief by trading or buying out the final season of defenseman Jeff Schultz four-year, $11 million deal, but even that won’t be enough to get Ribeiro under the cap, based on CSN Washington’s projections.
The Capitals might have to resort to shipping off another player, like forward Martin Erat ($4.5 million cap hit) just to make a Ribeiro deal work. Perhaps Washington will find a creative way to retain Ribeiro, but for now it sounds like the negotiations aren’t progressing.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)