Report: NHL looking into Keith slash to Carter’s face

Jun 5, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Controversy reared itself Tuesday, as the L.A. Kings took on the Chicago Blackhawks in Game 3 of their Western Conference final.

Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith slashed Kings’ forward Jeff Carter in the face in the second period of what turned out to be a 3-1 win for L.A. on home ice. Keith was assessed a double-minor for high-sticking, but this incident has sparked debate about whether the speedy blue liner should be looking at supplementary discipline.

According to Dan Rosen of NHL.com, the league’s Department of Player Safety is looking into the incident, which occurred in the neutral zone, as the Keith and Carter were skating up ice.

Carter slashed Keith on the hand as Keith was trying to pick his glove up off the ice. Keith retaliated by whacking Carter in the face with a one-handed slash.

“Just a little scuffle. It was an accident. I was glad to see that he came back,” said Keith following the game, as per a tweet from Tracey Myers of CSN Chicago.

“It was accidental. I wanted to give him a tap but not where I got him. I felt bad,” he added, as per Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune.

Carter did not speak to the media after the game, as he was getting dental work, according to Rosen.

“I didn’t think it was a four-minute penalty. Thought it was a wrong call,” Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter told reporters.

“Retaliation. That’s three head injuries now in the playoffs for us. I don’t know how to answer it. It’s retaliation with a stick. It’s not a high stick. Whatever they want to call it, they’ll call it. Don’t even need video.”

1. rocoop - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:45 AM

3….2….1 Cue the Hawks fans to start talking about Dustin Brown

2. pirovash88 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Good, keith deserves to get suspended for this type of play. Whether he meant to hit em in the face or not is irrelevant.

• hockey412 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM

What about the slash to the hand, though? Not penalized and also no suspension?

Dangerous precedent, isn’t it?

I have no horse in this race, just curiuous.

• hockey412 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM

curious, too.

• jpelle82 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM

i think he was trying to push his glove away. it was a sweeping motion not a whack or hack downward on him. he wasnt looking where his hand was, he knew where the glove was and was trying to play it cool by looking straight ahead when he did it. either way it was a d*ck move, but i’m not surprised no one is mentioning that whole part of it

3. polegojim - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ahhhhh…. also relevant was Carter intentionally whacking at Keiths BARE hand with HIS stick…

I say leave it alone… nothing more.

• nhloon - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Nothing more than a 1 game suspension is more like it.

• polegojim - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM

And what does Carter get for potentially breaking Keiths finger or hand???

Both equally reckless…

What one gets, the other should get.

One game suspension… Ok… for both then.

4. adambballn - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM

A suspension for a play like this would be ridiculous. He got a 4 minute penalty, leave it alone.

• nhloon - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Pretty sure slashing one’s face is clearly intent to injure. Just a guess though…

• polegojim - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM

You’re the same type who will then argue that Carter didn’t ‘mean’ to slash or hit Keiths hand either, right?

You can’t have it BOTH WAYS.

• niobiumh2 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

polegojim doesnt deem necessary to slash ones face

5. sjsharks66 - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Seriously?! It was an accidental high stick. So are they going to suspend every double minor high stick?

• kitshky - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM

You can argue whether he meant it to be as harmful a highstick …but it’s ludicrous to suggest it was an accidental highstick.

• pirovash88 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Do you even know what the definition of an accident is? This was retaliation for carters slash, not an accident. I understand that you’re upset about last round, but at least get your facts straight when you post.

• 22lakings22 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:20 AM

There goes sharks66 being objective again when it comes to the Kings. Get over yourself already. You’re like a broken record.

• hawkeedawg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:39 AM

There was no “accidental” about it. Deliberate stick to head by repeat offender = suspension. End of story.

6. qauzaq - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I think there shouldn’t be any suspension. It was CLEARLY an accident as Keith repeatedly apologized. Both players got caught up in the scrum. If Carter was injured and couldn’t play I’d say something different but because Carter came back I think the 4 min pp was sufficient. This is coming from a Kings fan.

• hawkeedawg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Injury has no part in the supplemental discipline. It was a deliberate stick to head. Suspension.

This was no “ACCIDENT”

• hockey412 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Actually I do think they look at whether there was an injury…actually I think that has a major part in the supplemental discipline.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM

It was deliberate, but it’s pretty clear he wasn’t going for the head head.

He got the double minor. Fine him on top of it, and leave it at that.

7. DTF31 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:10 AM

This wouldn’t be an argument if Keith wasn’t a star player. If this is Hjalmarsson or Oduya its a game.

Moronic plays like this should be easy suspensions. It can’t even fall under the “hockey play” argument for defence.

8. foleysfish - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Shanny wants to do anything just fine Keith. If Carter hits Keith’s hand witch he almost did Keith gets hurt and everyone is saying Carter should get suspended. By the way it’s a penalty if you try to hit another players glove stick ect away from him. That’s what Carter was trying to do. Lets think about if you were trying to pick up your glove and someone try’s to hit your hand with a hockey stick. If you don’t do anything you are a complete Sally.

9. sprtsfan1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Rocoop, you’re the only one who has brought up Brown, but I agree with you, everyone outside of the Kings fans thinks he’s a dirty player. I would be ashamed if that guy was my team’s captain.

• rocoop - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I made the comment as a joke….Everybody outside the King’s fanbase would love to have Dustin Brown on their team,,Don’t fool youself…..BTW, hit the reply button under my original post to comment, keeps the thread rolling smoothly……

• hawkeedawg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Judging by the thumbs down, you are incorrect when you say everyone would love to have DB on their team. I don’t, that is for sure.

Don’t fool yourself!!

10. laleafs - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Everyone in the rink gasped when Keith slammed his stick into Carter’s face. Keith had a brain fart and just spazzed out because of the cross check he had absorbed. Like it or not, he’s going to get a game for that, retaliation by whacking a guy in the head is hard for Shanny to ignore. Good of him to apologize, he’s not garbage like Torres or Bickell, but a whack to the head is a whack to the head.

• chanceoffleury1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:45 AM

I mean, Weber literally took Zetterberg’s head in his hand and smashed it into the boards and that got absolutely nothing last year. That play still sickens me to watch. I know it was last year, but I think that hit proved that given you as an individual have enough talent and star power, your leash is a bit longer.

If the NHL is serious about cleaning up the game I think they should give guys a game for stuff like this. It was a silly, stupid play by Keith but at the end of the day, the stupid plays where guys stop thinking and just react without notion are usually the ones that end up costing opposing players the most. Of course he was sorry. He was sorry in the same way a reckless driver is sorry when they crash into you and break you leg while they walk away fine. Nobody plans to crash into you and inconvenience you for weeks. But they weren’t thinking and it doesn’t change the fact that they did do something really stupid and reckless. Just because they are “really sorry” doesn’t mean they get to evade repercussions of their stupid action. If you let this go, then where is the line drawn? If Carter goes into the game on Thursday and tomahawks Keith in the midsection, but then says “Oh! I’m really really sorry! I didn’t mean to do that!” I mean you can’t suspend him. He said he was sorry, after all. This isn’t 2nd grade. These guys are grown men. They should know their actions have consequences and if you don’t enforce that then don’t be surprised when guys throw sneaky dirty hits.

11. 2redmond - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:31 AM

As a Kings fan, I really hope that Keith isn’t suspended. Frankly I don’t think I can listen to anymore of the conspiracy theories if he would be suspended. Your team lost tonight, get over it! You have a great team that totally outplayed mine the first two games of the series. But instead we have to listen to the icing call that wasn’t, the unintentional slash by their All Star D-man and the horrible Stephen Walkom! I guess I should complain about not having our top faceoff guy for much of the series against the Sharks and how our top playoff scorer has been out the last 2 games. Oh the horror! But what do I know, I’ve never “LACED THEM UP” like all you Hawk fans claim to have! LMAO!

• hawkeedawg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Your post lost all credibility when you had to bring up the icing sh!t

12. sjsharks66 - Jun 5, 2013 at 1:52 AM

First let me say I am over last round. So any kings fans who reply to me can stop repeating it.

Im looking at this as a hockey fans point of view. Carter slashes DK bare hand. He gives him a slash back ( that happens ALL the time ) it slips and gets too high. Accidentally clipping carters chin.

Take off your black and “aluminum” blinders. Since i apparently always have my teal ones on. It was accidental. 4 min penalty. Anything more and this league has lost it’s mine.

• hawkeedawg - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Fool!!!
      It was not an “accident” how f*******g stupid and blind to you have to be. It is a stick to the head by a repeat offender.

Wow, some people here just have no clue on what the NHL is trying to stop.

• erbaker67 - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

To be fair, I do not think the NHL knows what it is trying to stop.

13. foleysfish - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:22 AM

@2redmond
    Well said kings played a better game. No excuses from this Hawks Fan. I’m glad your Kings woke up and made it a series. Kings outplayed the hawks in the 1st and 2nd periods. We didn’t wake up till the 3rd. Can’t show up late to the party and expect to beat a good team like the Kings. Next game I expect a close overtime type game. Go Hawks

14. uclaemt - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM

This was not an accidental High Stick. It was a reckless play and a dangerous one. While not as severe it was no different than McSorely Slashing Brashaer on the side of the head. Mcsoreley also said it was an “accident.” The correct penalty should have been a Match and Keith deserves a suspension. This incident is worse than the Torres/Stoll incident and Torres sat 6 games. McSorely was initially suspended a total of 23 games, but the incident ended his career in the NHL…Keith, a repeat offender now, should be suspended the remainder of the Playoffs (that’s a max of 11 games this season) and no fewer than 8 games (if Hawks play fewer than 8 more playoff Games then suspension carries over to next year).

15. kingsfan68 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:41 AM

omg accidentally or not sj sharksfan66 its a suspension and he didnt clip him he needed 20 stitches you’re nothing but a sore loser

16. sprtsfan1 - Jun 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM

@rocoop, sorry about not keeping the thread moving slowly, I reply from IPhone only as I’m always on the move and don’t have the time to sit in front of a computer. Brown walks too fine of a line for me to want him on my team. Believe it or not, every fan outside of the Kings organization does not necessarily want him on their team, but obviously I can’t speak for everyone. Personally, I put him in the league of talented players like Ovechkin, just don’t like him. Too much of a liability.

17. kingsfan93 - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM

The two players were going at it as the play cont. Up the ice. Carter slashing Keith on the arm is in the heat of the moment type of inncident. As Carter skates away, Keith had an actual moment to sit back and think to or not to retaliate back at Carter. So he did right in the face purposely. This reminds me of the retaliation Marty McSorely did to D. Brashear back in the day. I give Keith a two game suspension.

• dt58 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Not even close to the same as McSorely and Brashear. Did that look like a 2-handed tomahawk to the helmet to you? At least pretend to be objective

18. foleysfish - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:44 AM

@uclaemt
    I am guessing you are a kings fan. Please look at it objectively at tell you really think that Keith should be gone for the rest of the playoffs. Look at the whole play as it unfolds. I bet you ask Carter if he thinks Keith should be suspended and he would say no. Both players should be suspended if you want to go by what you are saying. The only thing that happens different is Keith didn’t miss. Carter tried to hit Keith in the bare hand with a Hockey Stick. I am not making a excuse for Keith he screwed up. But so did Carter if he didn’t miss. I hate how everyone wants to suspend players for everything. Carter is fine to play the next game and the Kings got a 4 min power play. If the league wants to do something to Keith fine him but not suspend him. Lets let these two teams play the series and the best team will win.

19. schlitzy - Jun 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM

maybe give him a fine but no suspension.

20. jacketsfan7 - Jun 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM

So an accident is to one-handedly slash someone in the face?

21. titansbro - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I don’t care one but who wins this series or whether or not DK is suspended. But I do think he deserved to get hit in the face. That’s a bush league move slashing his bare hand, could’ve easily broken it. All the Kings fans keep talking about repercussions totally ignoring the fact the the hit to the face was repercussion of slashing his bare hand. Even if he was just trying to knock his glove away which it doesn’t appear that he was, that’s bush league too. It’s akin to a bball player losing a shoe & the other team throwing it down the court like D-Wade did a couple years ago.

22. pone27 - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM

First off, Brown is a dirty player. Guy has a track record of high, very controversial hits, errat elbows, and post whostle cheap shots. Anyone who thinks he plays a true legit grinder style of hockey either is a Kings fan, or doesn’t watch the kings often.

Back to topic, I think the debate here is if it was done on purpose. Clearly it was a high stick that caused blood. This is just like any other high stick in the NHL, rule wise. You high stick someone, its 2 minutes. You high stick and draw blood, it’s a double minor.

I have no reason to believe Keith is trying to swing a stick and chop Carters head off 2 things really make it obvious: 1) Keith immediately attending to him as well as make a continuous effort to apologize. NHL/hockey players will tell you, if you do something intentional to that extent, you back off and prepare to get into a possible ugly mishap with other players. 2) No Kings players make any moves to try to prevent Keith from apologizing or further attempt to “attack” him following the penalty.

4 minute double minor, yes. Suspension, no.

23. tripps3 - Jun 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Perhaps Carter will think twice about slashing someone’s bare hand

24. hrudey - Jun 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Even with the benefit of a night’s sleep, I look at it the same way as a guy who tries to lift an opponent’s stick and ends up getting the stick up in the face. There’s no denying that Keith is trying to slash Carter, nor was there any denying that Carter had been slashing Keith. Keith’s responsible for controlling his stick and because he didn’t the penalty was warranted, but it wasn’t the kind of brazen stick foul that should be suspendable. If there’s anything that should come from this incident, the league really needs to emphasize getting rid of all the extraneous slashing and cross-checking that goes on much too often.

25. kingsforever - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM

“Accidental”.

Carter is 6-7 with skates on. Pretty sure you don’t just whack something that high accidentally.

• dt58 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

And Keith’s hand is 4″ off the ice…was Carter chopping wood or was it Keiths bad for reaching for his glove?

26. jeffchadwick - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM

How can a purposeful slash to the face NOT be a suspension? It’s no different than an accidental head shot; sure, there was probably not intent to injure, but in today’s NHL, results matter more than intent. Very dangerous precedent if he’s not suspended, IMO.

27. ilikejay - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I agree, a fine makes sense, he’ll think twice. Carter was inches away from breaking his hand, and or sweeping his glove away after cross checking him. Which is why they did not counter.
    Like the prior post, if you really want to clean this up, be consistent and fair to all players, penalize the slashing and cross checking that goes on away from the puck. But that is hard because the refs are watching the puck, not the stupid head game crap that goes on behind the refs. But some will say “that’s hockey”. I personally disagree though.

28. micklethepickle - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM

It was a nasty play, done intentionally. Do I think Keith intended to hurt him that badly? No… but he DID intend to hurt him, I don’t think anyone can deny that. And, given his previous history with cheap shots, I say 2 games. But knowing the NHL, and how they ignored Cooke’s recent transgressions (and he has a WAY worse history), I’m guessing they’ll fine him 30 bucks.

29. sjsharks66 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Kings fans have selective memories. They never “whine or complain” because their team gets away with everything. Why would they complain?! Haha DK totally just ran at carter and tried to decapitate him. You didn’t see it? No way Carter did nothing wrong!

• hrudey - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I’m just glad this happened in this series with a standup guy like Keith and a reasonable Blackhawks fanbase, rather than in the last series so I don’t have to hear you spin for the next two weeks that Carter got hit in the shoulder, not the head.

30. jpat2424 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Uclaemt. Are you crazy!! It’s as bad as mc sorely hit in the head. Jesus. Your out of your mind

31. jpat2424 - Jun 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I wish it was 20 years ago and we wouldn’t even be talking about this.

• jeffchadwick - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Mostly because there wasn’t much of an internet then. The play in question would have still received a second look by the league.

32. sinbin2013 - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

There is no reason for suspension for Keith. I would like to know if any of you people making these comments has played hockey. Or can all you do is type what you think. Keith’s stick got a little high. Emotions get high out there and when someone tries to slash your bare hand you want to give him a little slash back. He got a little high and got Carter in the face. L.A. fans if you should be mad about anything it should be the fact that you could capitalize on a 4min man advantage. Lets just leave what happend on the ice. The Pussifacation of America has made sports a joke. Leave it on the ice.

33. surfoside4life - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Everyone on the hawks is a d-bag anyway. Its bad karma for them just like it was for the sharks and now the kings will steamroll past this season onto their second consecutive championship.

• surfoside4life - Jun 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Series*

34. icrew29 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Nothing should and nothing will happen to Keith. The Hawks lost because they looked like Disney on ice. The Hawks won the Cup by parking Buffs ass in front of the goalie and firing away. They did not win by passing the puck around 10 times before shooting. Kane is playing like he is afraid to take a hit. If he is looking for a body guard the Hawks don’t have one. Q will lay the law down by Thursday. To all the Kings fans, your team played a hell of of game, congrats.

35. jpat2424 - Jun 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Hey surf go hang 10 like totally radical dude.

36. tlndma - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:02 PM

What was Keith’s prior discipline for? That factors in.

The fact that Keith didn’t mean to hit him in the head, should hold no water here. I’m in the camp that you punish the act not the result. Though, in this case, I don’t think you can say Carter wasn’t injured.
    If you take a step back and ask yourself, “should a player who purposefully takes a one handed slash and hits the opposing player in the face, get a suspension?” Well, I think the aswer is pretty easy. There has to be some punishment for that. If your argument is, he didn’t mean to hit him in the head. My answer would be, he certainly wasn’t aiming at the ankles either. You need to control your stick.
    You never know what the NHL is thinking. Tough to say what they’ll do. I think one game might be their answer.

• jeffchadwick - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Spot on comments. Folks should google the play by Pierre-Marc Bouchard from 2011 that resulted in suspension that was relatively similar to what happened last night.

37. kingcobraman - Jun 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM

deliberate and stupid… is it his first time ? no … suspension is due 1 gamer

38. englishpetal - Jun 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM

new to hockey and still trying to figure te rules out so might seem like silly question but what is worse a high stick or retaliation???

Top 10 NHL Player Searches