Jun 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Still, hockey is a game with a lot more random luck than some other sports, making that pressure occasionally daunting. Penguins GM Ray Shero spoke with The National Post about dealing with annual Stanley Cup expectations, tough competition and other elements of his high-profile gig.
“It’s a deflection off a save, it’s a bounce,” Shero said. “We’ve experienced it in a positive way and a negative way, too. It changes quickly, you know? And everybody experiences it, and you go through it in every playoff series when you win, and you bring it back, and you say holy [expletive], we moved on. And every team that wins a Cup is lucky. You’ve got to be good, and you’ve got to be lucky.”
Shero acknowledged that the advantages of his roster, but noted that having high-end talent doesn’t automatically make it all easy.
“It’s nice to have young players and do this, but it’s about eventually winning, and this group did it in a relatively quick period, and people thought it might be easy,” Shero said. “But it’s not. Whether it’s through injury or other teams’ goaltending or poor play on our own part, or … [expletive] comes in. And with the salary cap, it’s pretty even. I don’t think you can take it for granted, and this is really hard. Which is good. This is a good position to be in, because you’ve got a chance. I mean, it’s not bad. You try to take advantage of it, but we’re respectful of the teams in the league.”
Even if teams like the Boston Bruins want to play up that “David vs. Goliath” vibe.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)