Jun 5, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
Still, hockey is a game with a lot more random luck than some other sports, making that pressure occasionally daunting. Penguins GM Ray Shero spoke with The National Post about dealing with annual Stanley Cup expectations, tough competition and other elements of his high-profile gig.
“It’s a deflection off a save, it’s a bounce,” Shero said. “We’ve experienced it in a positive way and a negative way, too. It changes quickly, you know? And everybody experiences it, and you go through it in every playoff series when you win, and you bring it back, and you say holy [expletive], we moved on. And every team that wins a Cup is lucky. You’ve got to be good, and you’ve got to be lucky.”
Shero acknowledged that the advantages of his roster, but noted that having high-end talent doesn’t automatically make it all easy.
“It’s nice to have young players and do this, but it’s about eventually winning, and this group did it in a relatively quick period, and people thought it might be easy,” Shero said. “But it’s not. Whether it’s through injury or other teams’ goaltending or poor play on our own part, or … [expletive] comes in. And with the salary cap, it’s pretty even. I don’t think you can take it for granted, and this is really hard. Which is good. This is a good position to be in, because you’ve got a chance. I mean, it’s not bad. You try to take advantage of it, but we’re respectful of the teams in the league.”
Even if teams like the Boston Bruins want to play up that “David vs. Goliath” vibe.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)