Jun 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
It’s been almost a decade since Don Cherry caused an uproar in Canada with his comments about visors.
“Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys,” Cherry said on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada in January of 2004.
The remarks even led to an investigation by the country’s federal Official Languages Commissioner, which is charged with “upholding the language rights of Canadians and promoting linguistic duality and bilingualism.”
But that was then.
“There is no stigma,” added Boston coach Claude Julien, one day after the NHL’s competition committee recommended making visors mandatory for incoming NHL players.
And just for good measure, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma concurred.
“I don’t think there’s a stigma to wearing a visor anywhere close to where there used to be,” said Bylsma. “I don’t know how far you’d have to go back for that, but I don’t think it’s there at all.”
For the record, Cherry predicted back in 2004 that visors would become mandatory: “You cannot have half the league wear them and half not.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)