Jun 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
It’s been almost a decade since Don Cherry caused an uproar in Canada with his comments about visors.
“Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys,” Cherry said on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada in January of 2004.
The remarks even led to an investigation by the country’s federal Official Languages Commissioner, which is charged with “upholding the language rights of Canadians and promoting linguistic duality and bilingualism.”
But that was then.
“There is no stigma,” added Boston coach Claude Julien, one day after the NHL’s competition committee recommended making visors mandatory for incoming NHL players.
And just for good measure, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma concurred.
“I don’t think there’s a stigma to wearing a visor anywhere close to where there used to be,” said Bylsma. “I don’t know how far you’d have to go back for that, but I don’t think it’s there at all.”
For the record, Cherry predicted back in 2004 that visors would become mandatory: “You cannot have half the league wear them and half not.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)