Jun 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
It’s been almost a decade since Don Cherry caused an uproar in Canada with his comments about visors.
“Most of the guys who wear them are Europeans and French guys,” Cherry said on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada in January of 2004.
The remarks even led to an investigation by the country’s federal Official Languages Commissioner, which is charged with “upholding the language rights of Canadians and promoting linguistic duality and bilingualism.”
But that was then.
“There is no stigma,” added Boston coach Claude Julien, one day after the NHL’s competition committee recommended making visors mandatory for incoming NHL players.
And just for good measure, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma concurred.
“I don’t think there’s a stigma to wearing a visor anywhere close to where there used to be,” said Bylsma. “I don’t know how far you’d have to go back for that, but I don’t think it’s there at all.”
For the record, Cherry predicted back in 2004 that visors would become mandatory: “You cannot have half the league wear them and half not.”
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 3
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 28
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)