Jun 5, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
Shanahan says the high-sticking infraction isn’t accidental or defensive, calling the move “retaliatory.”
The play initially resulted in a double-minor penalty for high-sticking.
Carter reportedly needed about 20 stitches to close up the wound and damaged some teeth from that high-sticking infraction. Keith, 29, tried to apologize to Carter, 28, according to USA Today.
Carter admitted that taking Keith out of Chicago’s lineup represents a “huge loss” for the Blackhawks.
Here’s a screen shot of the incident:
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)