Jun 5, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
Shanahan says the high-sticking infraction isn’t accidental or defensive, calling the move “retaliatory.”
The play initially resulted in a double-minor penalty for high-sticking.
Carter reportedly needed about 20 stitches to close up the wound and damaged some teeth from that high-sticking infraction. Keith, 29, tried to apologize to Carter, 28, according to USA Today.
Carter admitted that taking Keith out of Chicago’s lineup represents a “huge loss” for the Blackhawks.
Here’s a screen shot of the incident:
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 6
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 43
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 72
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 26
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40