Jun 5, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
According to Tim Leiweke, a historic collapse will forever change the future of the Maple Leafs — for the better.
On Tuesday, the president of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment discussed the infamous Boston meltdown and the future of his hockey club, saying the lessons learned from the Bruins series will help the Leafs for years to come.
“You go through that last game and it either makes or breaks an organization,” Leiweke told the Toronto Sun. “This is going to make us.
“That [Boston collapse] will be the image, the impression and the moment that we ingrain within everybody in the organization now to make sure we grow from that and we learn our lesson.”
Up 4-1 in Game 7 with 10:12 left in the third period, Toronto failed to seal the deal and allowed the Bruins to score three times in a span of 9:51 to even it up.
Discombobulated, Toronto only lasted six minutes into overtime before Patrice Bergeron scored the game-winner.
Leiweke said he was “extremely encouraged” by the Leafs this year and insisted the Game 7 collapse was an excellent opportunity for the organization to grow and learn.
“If that’s what we do,” Leiweke said, “it’s the best lesson we can ever go through.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)