Jun 5, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
According to Tim Leiweke, a historic collapse will forever change the future of the Maple Leafs — for the better.
On Tuesday, the president of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment discussed the infamous Boston meltdown and the future of his hockey club, saying the lessons learned from the Bruins series will help the Leafs for years to come.
“You go through that last game and it either makes or breaks an organization,” Leiweke told the Toronto Sun. “This is going to make us.
“That [Boston collapse] will be the image, the impression and the moment that we ingrain within everybody in the organization now to make sure we grow from that and we learn our lesson.”
Up 4-1 in Game 7 with 10:12 left in the third period, Toronto failed to seal the deal and allowed the Bruins to score three times in a span of 9:51 to even it up.
Discombobulated, Toronto only lasted six minutes into overtime before Patrice Bergeron scored the game-winner.
Leiweke said he was “extremely encouraged” by the Leafs this year and insisted the Game 7 collapse was an excellent opportunity for the organization to grow and learn.
“If that’s what we do,” Leiweke said, “it’s the best lesson we can ever go through.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)