Jun 5, 2013, 9:08 AM EST
When the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup in 2011, David Krejci led the league with 12 goals and 23 points in 25 playoff games.
He’s done even better this time around and in a year where Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Patrick Kane, and Patrick Sharp are among the players still active, Krejci is leading the pack with 20 points in 14 contests.
“You know what? It’s nice,” Krejci told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I want to say it’s nice, but I don’t really look at it that much. In the playoffs, it can change the next day. So I just try to stay at the same level at all times.”
Fair enough, but Krejci does seem like he can find an extra level when his team needs him the most. Over the past four campaigns, he’s never recorded more than 62 points in a single regular season, but he ranks second behind only Mike Richards in playoff points since 2010. Krejci has 25 goals and 54 points in 55 postseason games over that span.
Bruins coach Claude Julien suggested that Krejci is the type of player that thrives under the intensity of the playoffs, although Krejci wanted to emphasize that he doesn’t think he gets “bored” during the regular season. He also thinks sometimes too much is made of points.
“It’s not always about points,” Krejci argued. “I feel sometimes I have a good game in the regular season but I don’t have a point, and that’s all the media talks about: You’re a good player if you have points; if you don’t have points, you’re not a good player.
“That’s not this team. We never had the past few years a guy in the top 20 in scoring, so that’s just the way our team is built.”
Well, they got someone playing like an elite scorer right now and it certainly hasn’t hurt.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of ‘embarrassing’ embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)