Jun 5, 2013, 6:56 PM EST
It isn’t normal for a guy to have a nice rookie season and then become an unrestricted free agent the following summer, but that’s the case for Detroit Red Wings forward Damien Brunner.
At 27, he’s free to sign with any team he’d like after scoring 26 points in 44 regular season games and nine points in 14 postseason contests for the Red Wings.
Brunner was noncommittal about his future with the organization in an interview with The Oakland Press.
“It’s hard for me to say,” Brunner said. “We’ll see what’s coming. I’m excited about talking to them about my future.”
Either way, he was impressed with the way the franchise handles its business.
“I can’t say anything bad about the Detroit Red Wings,” Brunner continued. “It’s a first-class organization. It was a big honor to wear that sweater. I’m looking forward to the next weeks. It’s going to be decision time, but I think it’ll be a good time as well.”
It would be a shame, in a way, because he described it as “the best locker room” he’s been in.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 5
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)