Jun 5, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
Dave Tippett doesn’t have a contract to coach the Phoenix Coyotes next season. His current deal expires at the end of June, at which point he could be fielding inquiries from interested suitors (assuming all the NHL coaching vacancies haven’t been filled by then).
“It’s a bit like a player in the last year of his contract,” Tippett told the Arizona Republic. “There’s times you’d probably like to sign, but you’re not sure if you’re going to sign. That’s kind of where it is right now.”
The Coyotes have so far denied requests from other teams to interview Tippett. And at any rate, it appears he wants to stay, as long as the long-running ownership issue gets sorted out.
“I haven’t thought about moving yet,” he said. “If Phoenix offers me a contract and it looks like we’re going to keep moving in the right direction, then I’ll look at it.”
The Rangers, Stars, and Canucks are all without bench bosses.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 4
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 4
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 20
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 9
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)