Jun 5, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
Dave Tippett doesn’t have a contract to coach the Phoenix Coyotes next season. His current deal expires at the end of June, at which point he could be fielding inquiries from interested suitors (assuming all the NHL coaching vacancies haven’t been filled by then).
“It’s a bit like a player in the last year of his contract,” Tippett told the Arizona Republic. “There’s times you’d probably like to sign, but you’re not sure if you’re going to sign. That’s kind of where it is right now.”
The Coyotes have so far denied requests from other teams to interview Tippett. And at any rate, it appears he wants to stay, as long as the long-running ownership issue gets sorted out.
“I haven’t thought about moving yet,” he said. “If Phoenix offers me a contract and it looks like we’re going to keep moving in the right direction, then I’ll look at it.”
The Rangers, Stars, and Canucks are all without bench bosses.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)