Jun 5, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
Dave Tippett doesn’t have a contract to coach the Phoenix Coyotes next season. His current deal expires at the end of June, at which point he could be fielding inquiries from interested suitors (assuming all the NHL coaching vacancies haven’t been filled by then).
“It’s a bit like a player in the last year of his contract,” Tippett told the Arizona Republic. “There’s times you’d probably like to sign, but you’re not sure if you’re going to sign. That’s kind of where it is right now.”
The Coyotes have so far denied requests from other teams to interview Tippett. And at any rate, it appears he wants to stay, as long as the long-running ownership issue gets sorted out.
“I haven’t thought about moving yet,” he said. “If Phoenix offers me a contract and it looks like we’re going to keep moving in the right direction, then I’ll look at it.”
The Rangers, Stars, and Canucks are all without bench bosses.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)