Jun 5, 2013, 1:20 AM EDT
Sharp and Williams, who had a combined eight penalty minutes in these playoffs, dropped the gloves prior to a faceoff in the neutral zone during the first period in Game 3 of the Western Conference final Tuesday night.
The linesmen broke up the scuffle before any real punches could be thrown. The two were jawing prior to the drop of the puck, before Sharp delivered a stiff cross check to Williams.
“He asked me to fight. He asks me again, I’ll (fight) him any day he wants,” said Sharp, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.
Neither player is really known for their ability to throw down.
Sharp, the Blackhawks’ veteran forward, is tied with David Krejci of the Boston Bruins for the league-lead in goals these playoffs with eight.
Williams, the Kings’ veteran forward, scored Tuesday in L.A.’s 3-1 win and now has four goals in the last four games.
Bad blood has been brewing between these two teams, and it continued in Game 3.
And it went beyond the Sharp-Williams feud.
Blackhawks’ defenseman Duncan Keith was assessed a double-minor for high sticking in the second period, when he slashed Kings’ forward Jeff Carter in the face.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)