Jun 5, 2013, 1:20 AM EDT
Sharp and Williams, who had a combined eight penalty minutes in these playoffs, dropped the gloves prior to a faceoff in the neutral zone during the first period in Game 3 of the Western Conference final Tuesday night.
The linesmen broke up the scuffle before any real punches could be thrown. The two were jawing prior to the drop of the puck, before Sharp delivered a stiff cross check to Williams.
“He asked me to fight. He asks me again, I’ll (fight) him any day he wants,” said Sharp, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.
Neither player is really known for their ability to throw down.
Sharp, the Blackhawks’ veteran forward, is tied with David Krejci of the Boston Bruins for the league-lead in goals these playoffs with eight.
Williams, the Kings’ veteran forward, scored Tuesday in L.A.’s 3-1 win and now has four goals in the last four games.
Bad blood has been brewing between these two teams, and it continued in Game 3.
And it went beyond the Sharp-Williams feud.
Blackhawks’ defenseman Duncan Keith was assessed a double-minor for high sticking in the second period, when he slashed Kings’ forward Jeff Carter in the face.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)