Jun 5, 2013, 1:20 AM EST
Sharp and Williams, who had a combined eight penalty minutes in these playoffs, dropped the gloves prior to a faceoff in the neutral zone during the first period in Game 3 of the Western Conference final Tuesday night.
The linesmen broke up the scuffle before any real punches could be thrown. The two were jawing prior to the drop of the puck, before Sharp delivered a stiff cross check to Williams.
“He asked me to fight. He asks me again, I’ll (fight) him any day he wants,” said Sharp, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.
Neither player is really known for their ability to throw down.
Sharp, the Blackhawks’ veteran forward, is tied with David Krejci of the Boston Bruins for the league-lead in goals these playoffs with eight.
Williams, the Kings’ veteran forward, scored Tuesday in L.A.’s 3-1 win and now has four goals in the last four games.
Bad blood has been brewing between these two teams, and it continued in Game 3.
And it went beyond the Sharp-Williams feud.
Blackhawks’ defenseman Duncan Keith was assessed a double-minor for high sticking in the second period, when he slashed Kings’ forward Jeff Carter in the face.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)