Jun 5, 2013, 1:20 AM EST
Sharp and Williams, who had a combined eight penalty minutes in these playoffs, dropped the gloves prior to a faceoff in the neutral zone during the first period in Game 3 of the Western Conference final Tuesday night.
The linesmen broke up the scuffle before any real punches could be thrown. The two were jawing prior to the drop of the puck, before Sharp delivered a stiff cross check to Williams.
“He asked me to fight. He asks me again, I’ll (fight) him any day he wants,” said Sharp, according to Brian Hamilton of the Chicago Tribune.
Neither player is really known for their ability to throw down.
Sharp, the Blackhawks’ veteran forward, is tied with David Krejci of the Boston Bruins for the league-lead in goals these playoffs with eight.
Williams, the Kings’ veteran forward, scored Tuesday in L.A.’s 3-1 win and now has four goals in the last four games.
Bad blood has been brewing between these two teams, and it continued in Game 3.
And it went beyond the Sharp-Williams feud.
Blackhawks’ defenseman Duncan Keith was assessed a double-minor for high sticking in the second period, when he slashed Kings’ forward Jeff Carter in the face.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 10
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 33
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 27
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 40
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)