Jun 4, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
Of all the things Darryl Sutter’s focusing on heading into Tuesday’s pivotal Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, Corey Crawford is not one of them.
“I’m not worried about Corey Crawford,” Sutter said during his pregame media availability. “If we’re just only focused on Corey Crawford, then you’re not going to get any opportunities.”
The ‘Hawks goalie has been stellar during the playoffs, especially in back-to-back wins over Los Angeles in which he stopped 40 of 43 shots faced.
Sutter was complimentary of Crawford prior to the series, saying the Chicago goalie “had a hell of a year,” and that “you better give Corey Crawford tons of credit.”
But following Games 1 and 2 in Chicago — during which Crawford posted a .930 save percentage — Sutter said his team’s lack of offense was more about missed chances than Crawford’s shot-stopping.
“We did a good job last game,” he explained. “It’s missed nets, missing great opportunities. They had seven and scored on three. We doubled that and didn’t.”
The ‘Hawks would disagree.
Team captain Jonathan Toews has been raving about Crawford’s play as of late, saying he’s the biggest reason why Chicago has only allowed three goals thus far.
“[Crawford’s] hounding the puck, he’s all over it,” Toews told reporters. “He’s side-to-side and he’s as competitive as it gets right now.”
But, as Sutter points out, he still feels it’s the Kings who are preventing themselves from scoring.
“We had several [chances] last game that you have to finish on,” he said. “The nets didn’t get smaller in Chicago.”
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 2
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 2
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)