Jun 4, 2013, 3:49 PM EST
Of all the things Darryl Sutter’s focusing on heading into Tuesday’s pivotal Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, Corey Crawford is not one of them.
“I’m not worried about Corey Crawford,” Sutter said during his pregame media availability. “If we’re just only focused on Corey Crawford, then you’re not going to get any opportunities.”
The ‘Hawks goalie has been stellar during the playoffs, especially in back-to-back wins over Los Angeles in which he stopped 40 of 43 shots faced.
Sutter was complimentary of Crawford prior to the series, saying the Chicago goalie “had a hell of a year,” and that “you better give Corey Crawford tons of credit.”
But following Games 1 and 2 in Chicago — during which Crawford posted a .930 save percentage — Sutter said his team’s lack of offense was more about missed chances than Crawford’s shot-stopping.
“We did a good job last game,” he explained. “It’s missed nets, missing great opportunities. They had seven and scored on three. We doubled that and didn’t.”
The ‘Hawks would disagree.
Team captain Jonathan Toews has been raving about Crawford’s play as of late, saying he’s the biggest reason why Chicago has only allowed three goals thus far.
“[Crawford’s] hounding the puck, he’s all over it,” Toews told reporters. “He’s side-to-side and he’s as competitive as it gets right now.”
But, as Sutter points out, he still feels it’s the Kings who are preventing themselves from scoring.
“We had several [chances] last game that you have to finish on,” he said. “The nets didn’t get smaller in Chicago.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 21
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)