Jun 4, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
Of all the things Darryl Sutter’s focusing on heading into Tuesday’s pivotal Game 3 of the Western Conference finals, Corey Crawford is not one of them.
“I’m not worried about Corey Crawford,” Sutter said during his pregame media availability. “If we’re just only focused on Corey Crawford, then you’re not going to get any opportunities.”
The ‘Hawks goalie has been stellar during the playoffs, especially in back-to-back wins over Los Angeles in which he stopped 40 of 43 shots faced.
Sutter was complimentary of Crawford prior to the series, saying the Chicago goalie “had a hell of a year,” and that “you better give Corey Crawford tons of credit.”
But following Games 1 and 2 in Chicago — during which Crawford posted a .930 save percentage — Sutter said his team’s lack of offense was more about missed chances than Crawford’s shot-stopping.
“We did a good job last game,” he explained. “It’s missed nets, missing great opportunities. They had seven and scored on three. We doubled that and didn’t.”
The ‘Hawks would disagree.
Team captain Jonathan Toews has been raving about Crawford’s play as of late, saying he’s the biggest reason why Chicago has only allowed three goals thus far.
“[Crawford's] hounding the puck, he’s all over it,” Toews told reporters. “He’s side-to-side and he’s as competitive as it gets right now.”
But, as Sutter points out, he still feels it’s the Kings who are preventing themselves from scoring.
“We had several [chances] last game that you have to finish on,” he said. “The nets didn’t get smaller in Chicago.”
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 17
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 31
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 1
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)