Jun 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Interesting note here from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his “30 thoughts” column:
Here’s what the New York Islanders are doing with Rick DiPietro. They are letting teams know that if they are interested in taking the goalie’s contract off their hands, they will try to make it worthwhile. They’ll consider taking a bad contract in return, maybe even a draft pick (or picks) or prospects. Still, it won’t be easy. “That will have to be one heck of an asset,” said another GM. A buyout now would have DiPietro on your books until 2029.
Last week, TSN’s Bob McKenzie floated a potential trade involving the Canucks, who would send the Isles goalie Roberto Luongo in return for DiPietro (on whom the Canucks would use one of their compliance buyouts, with no cap penalty) and, of course, something to make it worthwhile on Vancouver’s end. (Nino Niederreiter is one name that pops to mind.)
That’s just one idea, and it’s not clear if either side is seriously considering it. But for rich clubs that are willing to flex their financial muscle, the DiPietro situation may offer an opportunity to “buy” something from the budget-conscious Islanders.
Per CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout would cost $24 million spread over 16 years.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)