Jun 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Interesting note here from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his “30 thoughts” column:
Here’s what the New York Islanders are doing with Rick DiPietro. They are letting teams know that if they are interested in taking the goalie’s contract off their hands, they will try to make it worthwhile. They’ll consider taking a bad contract in return, maybe even a draft pick (or picks) or prospects. Still, it won’t be easy. “That will have to be one heck of an asset,” said another GM. A buyout now would have DiPietro on your books until 2029.
Last week, TSN’s Bob McKenzie floated a potential trade involving the Canucks, who would send the Isles goalie Roberto Luongo in return for DiPietro (on whom the Canucks would use one of their compliance buyouts, with no cap penalty) and, of course, something to make it worthwhile on Vancouver’s end. (Nino Niederreiter is one name that pops to mind.)
That’s just one idea, and it’s not clear if either side is seriously considering it. But for rich clubs that are willing to flex their financial muscle, the DiPietro situation may offer an opportunity to “buy” something from the budget-conscious Islanders.
Per CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout would cost $24 million spread over 16 years.
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 72
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (72)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)