Jun 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Interesting note here from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his “30 thoughts” column:
Here’s what the New York Islanders are doing with Rick DiPietro. They are letting teams know that if they are interested in taking the goalie’s contract off their hands, they will try to make it worthwhile. They’ll consider taking a bad contract in return, maybe even a draft pick (or picks) or prospects. Still, it won’t be easy. “That will have to be one heck of an asset,” said another GM. A buyout now would have DiPietro on your books until 2029.
Last week, TSN’s Bob McKenzie floated a potential trade involving the Canucks, who would send the Isles goalie Roberto Luongo in return for DiPietro (on whom the Canucks would use one of their compliance buyouts, with no cap penalty) and, of course, something to make it worthwhile on Vancouver’s end. (Nino Niederreiter is one name that pops to mind.)
That’s just one idea, and it’s not clear if either side is seriously considering it. But for rich clubs that are willing to flex their financial muscle, the DiPietro situation may offer an opportunity to “buy” something from the budget-conscious Islanders.
Per CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout would cost $24 million spread over 16 years.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)