Jun 4, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Interesting note here from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his “30 thoughts” column:
Here’s what the New York Islanders are doing with Rick DiPietro. They are letting teams know that if they are interested in taking the goalie’s contract off their hands, they will try to make it worthwhile. They’ll consider taking a bad contract in return, maybe even a draft pick (or picks) or prospects. Still, it won’t be easy. “That will have to be one heck of an asset,” said another GM. A buyout now would have DiPietro on your books until 2029.
Last week, TSN’s Bob McKenzie floated a potential trade involving the Canucks, who would send the Isles goalie Roberto Luongo in return for DiPietro (on whom the Canucks would use one of their compliance buyouts, with no cap penalty) and, of course, something to make it worthwhile on Vancouver’s end. (Nino Niederreiter is one name that pops to mind.)
That’s just one idea, and it’s not clear if either side is seriously considering it. But for rich clubs that are willing to flex their financial muscle, the DiPietro situation may offer an opportunity to “buy” something from the budget-conscious Islanders.
Per CapGeek, a DiPietro buyout would cost $24 million spread over 16 years.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)