Jun 4, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Starting in 2013-14, the NHL will force players to wear visors for the first time ever.
That was the news out of Tuesday’s NHL-NHLPA Competition Committee meeting, in which mandatory visor use was grandfathered in.
(TSN’s Darren Dreger reports the cutoff is for any player that’s played 26 or more NHL regular-season or playoff games. Any player with less will have to wear one.)
According to NHLPA special assistant Mathieu Schneider, there was a “clear majority” among union members supporting the initiative, though he refrained from giving a specific number.
In March, Schneider said the PA rejected the idea of mandatory visors.
Visor use has been a hot topic throughout this season, and reached a boiling point when Rangers defenseman Marc Staal was struck in the eye with a puck.
Staal, who was not wearing a visor, missed the remainder of the regular season and all but one of New York’s playoff games with cloudy vision.
He, along with brothers Eric and Jordan, have since donned visors.
Staal also said he should’ve been wearing one at the time of the injury, and acknowledged that he voted in favor of mandatory visor usage — without a grandfather clause — when the NHLPA polled its members earlier this year.
Note: Related to the new initiative, it appears the penalty for starting a fight with a visor will be changed, as per to NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 1
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 3
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 30
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 44
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (44)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)