Jun 4, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Pictured here is Tyler Lewington, a defenseman from WHL Medicine Hat that finished No. 66 on Central Scouting’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings list.
That was before he worked out, though.
If fitness and strength tests are enough to adjust those rankings, then Lewington would be the guy to do it — he dominated a series of events at the recently completed NHL Scouting Combine.
The 6-foot-1, 189-pound Lewington finished atop the bench press competition (16 reps at 150 pounds), the push up competition (42), the push strength competition (341 pounds) and finished sixth in pull strength (296 pounds).
He was the only player at the combine to place first in more than one category.
Lewington, 18, had a successful ’13 campaign with Medicine Hat, scoring 2G-24A-26PTS in 69 games while fighting nine times. He also appeared in eight playoff games for the Tigers, scoring once while racking up 14 PIM.
Oh, and in case you’re curious, his favorite all-time NHL players are Bobby Orr and Chris Pronger.
So in addition to being strong, he’s also got good taste in who to model his game after.
(Image courtesy WHL.ca)
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)