Jun 4, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Pictured here is Tyler Lewington, a defenseman from WHL Medicine Hat that finished No. 66 on Central Scouting’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings list.
That was before he worked out, though.
If fitness and strength tests are enough to adjust those rankings, then Lewington would be the guy to do it — he dominated a series of events at the recently completed NHL Scouting Combine.
The 6-foot-1, 189-pound Lewington finished atop the bench press competition (16 reps at 150 pounds), the push up competition (42), the push strength competition (341 pounds) and finished sixth in pull strength (296 pounds).
He was the only player at the combine to place first in more than one category.
Lewington, 18, had a successful ’13 campaign with Medicine Hat, scoring 2G-24A-26PTS in 69 games while fighting nine times. He also appeared in eight playoff games for the Tigers, scoring once while racking up 14 PIM.
Oh, and in case you’re curious, his favorite all-time NHL players are Bobby Orr and Chris Pronger.
So in addition to being strong, he’s also got good taste in who to model his game after.
(Image courtesy WHL.ca)
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)