Jun 4, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Pictured here is Tyler Lewington, a defenseman from WHL Medicine Hat that finished No. 66 on Central Scouting’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings list.
That was before he worked out, though.
If fitness and strength tests are enough to adjust those rankings, then Lewington would be the guy to do it — he dominated a series of events at the recently completed NHL Scouting Combine.
The 6-foot-1, 189-pound Lewington finished atop the bench press competition (16 reps at 150 pounds), the push up competition (42), the push strength competition (341 pounds) and finished sixth in pull strength (296 pounds).
He was the only player at the combine to place first in more than one category.
Lewington, 18, had a successful ’13 campaign with Medicine Hat, scoring 2G-24A-26PTS in 69 games while fighting nine times. He also appeared in eight playoff games for the Tigers, scoring once while racking up 14 PIM.
Oh, and in case you’re curious, his favorite all-time NHL players are Bobby Orr and Chris Pronger.
So in addition to being strong, he’s also got good taste in who to model his game after.
(Image courtesy WHL.ca)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 0
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 134
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 81