Jun 4, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
Pictured here is Tyler Lewington, a defenseman from WHL Medicine Hat that finished No. 66 on Central Scouting’s 2013 NHL Draft rankings list.
That was before he worked out, though.
If fitness and strength tests are enough to adjust those rankings, then Lewington would be the guy to do it — he dominated a series of events at the recently completed NHL Scouting Combine.
The 6-foot-1, 189-pound Lewington finished atop the bench press competition (16 reps at 150 pounds), the push up competition (42), the push strength competition (341 pounds) and finished sixth in pull strength (296 pounds).
He was the only player at the combine to place first in more than one category.
Lewington, 18, had a successful ’13 campaign with Medicine Hat, scoring 2G-24A-26PTS in 69 games while fighting nine times. He also appeared in eight playoff games for the Tigers, scoring once while racking up 14 PIM.
Oh, and in case you’re curious, his favorite all-time NHL players are Bobby Orr and Chris Pronger.
So in addition to being strong, he’s also got good taste in who to model his game after.
(Image courtesy WHL.ca)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)