Jun 4, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
With his team behind 0-2 in the Eastern Conference finals and facing a virtual must-win in Boston, Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said there would be changes to his roster and forward lines for Game 3.
“We have to get back to playing good defensive hockey, we have to get back to playing get away from the puck, and that’s got to happen throughout our lineup,” he explained.
“I think you’ll see some changes in our lines and a few guys being added to the lineup to do so.”
What those changes are remain to be seen.
Of the healthy scratches from Game 2, Beau Bennett, Simon Despres, Mark Eaton, Tanner Glass and Tyler Kennedy have all played at least once this postseason, with Kennedy (2G-3A-5PTS in eight games) being the most productive of the lot.
As for who might come out?
Jussi Jokinen (7:46 TOI), Joe Vitale (11:03) and Craig Adams (11:14) had the least amount of ice time among the forwards in Game 2, and one has to wonder if Douglas Murray could be in danger of getting parked after a rough outing (minus-2 and just 12:45 TOI, the lowest among all the defensemen).
Vokoun was yanked for the first time this postseason in Monday’s 6-1 loss after allowing three goals on 12 shots to start the game. Fleury came in and wasn’t much more effective, allowing three goals on 17 shots.
Bylsma sounded like he was leaning towards using Vokoun in Game 3.
“He’s certainly won a lot of hockey games, had a lot of success in that net for us,” Bylsma said. “He didn’t have that last night, but that’s not going to play into the decision.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)