Jun 4, 2013, 3:23 PM EDT
Have two tough series taken their toll on the Kings?
Adam Burish seems to think so.
The San Jose forward told ESPN Chicago Radio on Tuesday that, during the second round, some of the Kings players looked like they were out of gas.
“They had guys as our series went on you could tell they were slowing down,” Burish explained. “I give them credit, they were hanging in there. They were tough.
“But this is the playoffs, this is hard.”
It certainly is.
Los Angeles has recorded 626 hits thus far in the playoffs, over 100 more than the next closest team (Boston, with 512). While hits are often a questionable metric — the criteria for one varies from building to building — it’s a pretty good indicator of how physical the Kings have played over the last 15 games.
Their Round 1 series against St. Louis was dubbed by many as a brutally intense affair (Dustin Penner called it “the most physical series I’ve been a part of,”) and the San Jose series was equally taxing — in Game 4 alone, the two teams combined for a whopping 89 hits.
This style of play has resulted in injuries, something L.A. didn’t encounter much during the 2012 Stanley Cup run.
“The Kings last year, they didn’t have one guy injured the entire playoffs,” Burish explained. “To win you’ve got to have talent and you’ve got to have luck.
“And right now the Hawks look pretty darn good to me.”
Chicago leads the Western Conference finals two games to none. You can catch Game 3 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles tonight on NBCSN.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)