Jun 3, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
Phoenix defenseman Maxim Goncharov has signed with KHL club SKA Saint Petersburg, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Goncharov, 23, was taken in the fifth round (123rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
He entered the draft as the eighth-best European prospect — the second-rated European defenseman — and proceeded to score five goals in seven games for Russia at the 2009 World Juniors, leading the tournament in goals by a blueliner.
His time in North American has not been as successful.
He’s failed to play a single regular season game for the Coyotes (the accompanying picture was taken from a preseason contest), spending all his time with AHL affiliates San Antonio and Portland.
Last year, he had 2G-13A-15PTS in 44 games for the Pirates.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 13
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)