Jun 3, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Phoenix defenseman Maxim Goncharov has signed with KHL club SKA Saint Petersburg, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Goncharov, 23, was taken in the fifth round (123rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
He entered the draft as the eighth-best European prospect — the second-rated European defenseman — and proceeded to score five goals in seven games for Russia at the 2009 World Juniors, leading the tournament in goals by a blueliner.
His time in North American has not been as successful.
He’s failed to play a single regular season game for the Coyotes (the accompanying picture was taken from a preseason contest), spending all his time with AHL affiliates San Antonio and Portland.
Last year, he had 2G-13A-15PTS in 44 games for the Pirates.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54