Jun 3, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Phoenix defenseman Maxim Goncharov has signed with KHL club SKA Saint Petersburg, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Goncharov, 23, was taken in the fifth round (123rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
He entered the draft as the eighth-best European prospect — the second-rated European defenseman — and proceeded to score five goals in seven games for Russia at the 2009 World Juniors, leading the tournament in goals by a blueliner.
His time in North American has not been as successful.
He’s failed to play a single regular season game for the Coyotes (the accompanying picture was taken from a preseason contest), spending all his time with AHL affiliates San Antonio and Portland.
Last year, he had 2G-13A-15PTS in 44 games for the Pirates.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)