Jun 3, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Phoenix defenseman Maxim Goncharov has signed with KHL club SKA Saint Petersburg, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Goncharov, 23, was taken in the fifth round (123rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
He entered the draft as the eighth-best European prospect — the second-rated European defenseman — and proceeded to score five goals in seven games for Russia at the 2009 World Juniors, leading the tournament in goals by a blueliner.
His time in North American has not been as successful.
He’s failed to play a single regular season game for the Coyotes (the accompanying picture was taken from a preseason contest), spending all his time with AHL affiliates San Antonio and Portland.
Last year, he had 2G-13A-15PTS in 44 games for the Pirates.
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 0
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 6
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 27
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)