Jun 3, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Phoenix defenseman Maxim Goncharov has signed with KHL club SKA Saint Petersburg, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
Goncharov, 23, was taken in the fifth round (123rd overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
He entered the draft as the eighth-best European prospect — the second-rated European defenseman — and proceeded to score five goals in seven games for Russia at the 2009 World Juniors, leading the tournament in goals by a blueliner.
His time in North American has not been as successful.
He’s failed to play a single regular season game for the Coyotes (the accompanying picture was taken from a preseason contest), spending all his time with AHL affiliates San Antonio and Portland.
Last year, he had 2G-13A-15PTS in 44 games for the Pirates.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)