Jun 3, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to terms with Finnish goalie Antti Raanta, according to Juha Hiitela of Urheilusanomat.
Raanta, 24, was named SM-liiga playoff MVP this season after — capturing the Jari Kurri Trophy, Finland’s equivalent to the Conn Smythe — while posting a 1.33 GAA and .955 save percentage for Assat, backstopping the club to the league championship.
That award capped off a banner campaign in which he also won the league’s top goaltender award and regular-season MVP.
Unsurprisingly, there were a number of NHL teams interested in securing Raanta’s services.
Hiitela reports the Jets and Oilers were also believed to be in the running.
Signing with Chicago is certainly an interesting move. The ‘Hawks are currently locked into Corey Crawford and Ray Emery, though neither is signed past 2014 (Emery is a UFA this summer, Crawford next summer).
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 18
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)