Jun 3, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to terms with Finnish goalie Antti Raanta, according to Juha Hiitela of Urheilusanomat.
Raanta, 24, was named SM-liiga playoff MVP this season after — capturing the Jari Kurri Trophy, Finland’s equivalent to the Conn Smythe — while posting a 1.33 GAA and .955 save percentage for Assat, backstopping the club to the league championship.
That award capped off a banner campaign in which he also won the league’s top goaltender award and regular-season MVP.
Unsurprisingly, there were a number of NHL teams interested in securing Raanta’s services.
Hiitela reports the Jets and Oilers were also believed to be in the running.
Signing with Chicago is certainly an interesting move. The ‘Hawks are currently locked into Corey Crawford and Ray Emery, though neither is signed past 2014 (Emery is a UFA this summer, Crawford next summer).
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)