Jun 3, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
After the NHL lockout wiped out the Traverse City prospects tournament for the first time in 15 years, the Detroit Red Wings announced it would return for the 2013-14 season.
GM Ken Holland announced Monday that the annual NHL Prospects Tournament at Training Camp at the Center ICE Arena in Traverse City, Mich., will be back with a bang, as eight teams are set to participate: the Red Wings, Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers and St. Louis Blues.
This year’s event will feature each team playing four games a day for four days — Sept. 5, 6, 8 and 9.
The tournament has been held in Traverse City since 1998, and ’12 marked the first-ever time it had been canceled. It was scheduled to begin on Sept. 15, the same day the NHL’s old CBA expired.
Traverse City has long been known as one of the most popular tournaments on the preseason circuit, thanks in large part to the number of prized prospects the Detroit organization has churned out over the last 15 years.
Past participants for the Wings include Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Niklas Kronwall, Valtteri Filppula, Darren Helm, Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl, Justin Abdelkader, Cory Emmerton, Jan Mursak, and Brendan Smith.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)