Jun 3, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are returning to the city of London, Ontario this fall — and they’re doing it in style.
The Leafs have invited the reigning Presidents’ Trophy winners, the Chicago Blackhawks, along with the 2009 Stanley Cup champion Penguins to their annual rookie tournament at Budweiser Gardens.
“The Maple Leafs are thrilled to return to a great hockey city like London for the annual Rookie Tournament,” Leafs GM David Nonis said in a statement. “It’s a great opportunity for us to evaluate the players in our system against their peers from other NHL clubs.”
The Ottawa Senators are also scheduled to compete in the four-team round-robin.
The rookie tourney was canceled in 2012 due to the NHL lockout.
The Maple Leafs are expected to have a number of prized prospects on hand, according to the Toronto Sun.
Tyler Biggs (2011 first-rounder) and Morgan Rielly (2012 first-rounder) have been identified as potential participants and, should the other teams decide to send their ’11 and ’12 draftees, fans could see the likes of Pittsburgh’s Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maatta, Ottawa’s Cody Ceci and Matt Puempel and Chicago’s Teuvo Teravainen and Mark McNeill.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 27
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)