Jun 3, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are returning to the city of London, Ontario this fall — and they’re doing it in style.
The Leafs have invited the reigning Presidents’ Trophy winners, the Chicago Blackhawks, along with the 2009 Stanley Cup champion Penguins to their annual rookie tournament at Budweiser Gardens.
“The Maple Leafs are thrilled to return to a great hockey city like London for the annual Rookie Tournament,” Leafs GM David Nonis said in a statement. “It’s a great opportunity for us to evaluate the players in our system against their peers from other NHL clubs.”
The Ottawa Senators are also scheduled to compete in the four-team round-robin.
The rookie tourney was canceled in 2012 due to the NHL lockout.
The Maple Leafs are expected to have a number of prized prospects on hand, according to the Toronto Sun.
Tyler Biggs (2011 first-rounder) and Morgan Rielly (2012 first-rounder) have been identified as potential participants and, should the other teams decide to send their ’11 and ’12 draftees, fans could see the likes of Pittsburgh’s Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maatta, Ottawa’s Cody Ceci and Matt Puempel and Chicago’s Teuvo Teravainen and Mark McNeill.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 21
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)