Jun 3, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are returning to the city of London, Ontario this fall — and they’re doing it in style.
The Leafs have invited the reigning Presidents’ Trophy winners, the Chicago Blackhawks, along with the 2009 Stanley Cup champion Penguins to their annual rookie tournament at Budweiser Gardens.
“The Maple Leafs are thrilled to return to a great hockey city like London for the annual Rookie Tournament,” Leafs GM David Nonis said in a statement. “It’s a great opportunity for us to evaluate the players in our system against their peers from other NHL clubs.”
The Ottawa Senators are also scheduled to compete in the four-team round-robin.
The rookie tourney was canceled in 2012 due to the NHL lockout.
The Maple Leafs are expected to have a number of prized prospects on hand, according to the Toronto Sun.
Tyler Biggs (2011 first-rounder) and Morgan Rielly (2012 first-rounder) have been identified as potential participants and, should the other teams decide to send their ’11 and ’12 draftees, fans could see the likes of Pittsburgh’s Derrick Pouliot and Olli Maatta, Ottawa’s Cody Ceci and Matt Puempel and Chicago’s Teuvo Teravainen and Mark McNeill.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (42)