Jun 3, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
The price for Bryan Bickell may have risen again Sunday when the big 27-year-old power forward scored his sixth goal of the playoffs for the Chicago Blackhawks.
Bickell — drafted 41st overall in 2004 — is a pending unrestricted free agent that may in fact be pricing himself out of a return to the Blackhawks, as the salary cap is set to fall from $70.2 million to $64.3 million.
“He’s a force for them and it’s what that team needs,” one Western Conference executive told ESPN.com. “He’s really come on for them. It’s going to be interesting to see if they can re-sign him.”
If there’s one red flag for potential offseason suitors, it may be Bickell’s shooting percentage in the playoffs, which now stands at 25 percent.
That’s not a particularly sustainable conversion rate; his career shooting percentage in the regular season is 12.2.
But that won’t stop teams looking for a versatile power forward (and there are always plenty of those) from going after him with their wallets wide open.
Bickell said in March that he wants to re-sign in Chicago. His price for staying may have changed since then though.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)