Jun 3, 2013, 12:06 PM EST
The price for Bryan Bickell may have risen again Sunday when the big 27-year-old power forward scored his sixth goal of the playoffs for the Chicago Blackhawks.
Bickell — drafted 41st overall in 2004 — is a pending unrestricted free agent that may in fact be pricing himself out of a return to the Blackhawks, as the salary cap is set to fall from $70.2 million to $64.3 million.
“He’s a force for them and it’s what that team needs,” one Western Conference executive told ESPN.com. “He’s really come on for them. It’s going to be interesting to see if they can re-sign him.”
If there’s one red flag for potential offseason suitors, it may be Bickell’s shooting percentage in the playoffs, which now stands at 25 percent.
That’s not a particularly sustainable conversion rate; his career shooting percentage in the regular season is 12.2.
But that won’t stop teams looking for a versatile power forward (and there are always plenty of those) from going after him with their wallets wide open.
Bickell said in March that he wants to re-sign in Chicago. His price for staying may have changed since then though.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)