Jun 3, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
The price for Bryan Bickell may have risen again Sunday when the big 27-year-old power forward scored his sixth goal of the playoffs for the Chicago Blackhawks.
Bickell — drafted 41st overall in 2004 — is a pending unrestricted free agent that may in fact be pricing himself out of a return to the Blackhawks, as the salary cap is set to fall from $70.2 million to $64.3 million.
“He’s a force for them and it’s what that team needs,” one Western Conference executive told ESPN.com. “He’s really come on for them. It’s going to be interesting to see if they can re-sign him.”
If there’s one red flag for potential offseason suitors, it may be Bickell’s shooting percentage in the playoffs, which now stands at 25 percent.
That’s not a particularly sustainable conversion rate; his career shooting percentage in the regular season is 12.2.
But that won’t stop teams looking for a versatile power forward (and there are always plenty of those) from going after him with their wallets wide open.
Bickell said in March that he wants to re-sign in Chicago. His price for staying may have changed since then though.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)