Jun 3, 2013, 8:16 PM EDT
The NHL’s Competition Committee is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, with mandatory visors, hybrid icing and goalie equipment size alterations being on the docket, according to the Canadian Press.
The report points out that the league is on board with requiring visors, it’s a matter of the NHLPA accepting it as well; they currently encourage the use but think it should be a matter of choice. (Apparently a recent survey showed that 73 percent of players wore one this season, up from what The Hockey News reportedly estimated as just 28 percent in 2001-02.)
Hybrid icing and reducing goalie equipment size also sound like other subjects that might come down to the players, the CP reports.
Ultimately, a two-thirds vote is required to make changes.
The Canadian Press lists the official and unofficial members:
Ron Hainsey of the Winnipeg Jets, Cory Schneider of the Vancouver Canucks, Michael Cammalleri of the Calgary Flames and David Backes and Alex Pietrangelo of the St. Louis Blues will represent the NHLPA. Mathieu Schneider, a former NHL defenceman and special assistant to NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, will chair the meeting as a non-voting member.
The NHL hasn’t publicly announced its five team officials but they are reportedly general managers Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings, Steve Yzerman of the Tampa Bay Lightning and David Poile of the Nashville Predators, Toronto Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle and Philadelphia Flyers chairman Ed Snider.
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 7
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47