Jun 3, 2013, 5:48 PM EDT
Whether the topic is mandatory visors, hybrid icing, or the standard of officiating, there’s reason to hope tomorrow’s meeting of the NHL’s competition committee will be a more fruitful one now that the league’s labor battle is behind us.
Because, in case you haven’t noticed, it hasn’t always been about the game during these meetings. A lot of the time, politics have come into play.
“I always keep hoping it will be constructive,” one anonymous participant told sportsnet.ca today. “I wish we could talk more real common sense hockey. We should be figuring out what the game needs.”
The visor debate, for example, has always been about more than just visors. It was also about which party — the league or the players’ association — had the right to decide an issue concerning player safety.
“The players support visor use being a matter of individual choice,” said the NHLPA’s Mathieu Schneider in March.
But now it appears the union may be on the verge of recommending visors become mandatory for all new players.
The competition committee is made up of five players — Ron Hainsey, Cory Schneider, Michael Cammalleri, David Backes and Alex Pietrangelo — plus five team officials (according to the Canadian Press, they are general managers Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings, Steve Yzerman of the Tampa Bay Lightning and David Poile of the Nashville Predators, plus Toronto Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle and Philadelphia Flyers chairman Ed Snider.)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)