Jun 3, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Whether the topic is mandatory visors, hybrid icing, or the standard of officiating, there’s reason to hope tomorrow’s meeting of the NHL’s competition committee will be a more fruitful one now that the league’s labor battle is behind us.
Because, in case you haven’t noticed, it hasn’t always been about the game during these meetings. A lot of the time, politics have come into play.
“I always keep hoping it will be constructive,” one anonymous participant told sportsnet.ca today. “I wish we could talk more real common sense hockey. We should be figuring out what the game needs.”
The visor debate, for example, has always been about more than just visors. It was also about which party — the league or the players’ association — had the right to decide an issue concerning player safety.
“The players support visor use being a matter of individual choice,” said the NHLPA’s Mathieu Schneider in March.
But now it appears the union may be on the verge of recommending visors become mandatory for all new players.
The competition committee is made up of five players – Ron Hainsey, Cory Schneider, Michael Cammalleri, David Backes and Alex Pietrangelo — plus five team officials (according to the Canadian Press, they are general managers Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings, Steve Yzerman of the Tampa Bay Lightning and David Poile of the Nashville Predators, plus Toronto Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle and Philadelphia Flyers chairman Ed Snider.)
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime 0
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 10
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 7
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 13
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 11
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)