Jun 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Marc-Andre Fleury knows what it’s like to be replaced in goal.
As such, he’s a good person to ask about Jonathan Quick.
Quick, who was yanked for the first time this postseason in Sunday’s 4-2 Game 2 loss to Chicago, gave up four goals for the first time in 34 postseason games and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier.
It’s something Fleury doesn’t expect to happen again in Game 3.
“[Quick] has had a terrific playoffs,” Fleury told the Chicago Tribune. “Chicago’s a tough team, dangerous team. They have so much offensive power, power up front.
“It happens, but I’m sure he’ll be fine next game.”
Fleury lasted just four games this postseason before he was pulled in favor of Thomas Vokoun.
The 28-year-old spent most of the year as Pittsburgh’s No. 1 goalie but, after allowing 14 goals in Games 2-4 against the Islanders and losing two of three, he was dumped in favor of the veteran Czech netminder.
Fleury has handled the demotion well.
Last week, he said he was “trying not to think about” his future with the Penguins, opting rather to focus on the present and being the best backup possible.
In speaking with the Tribune, he added he has a good working relationship with Vokoun and ignores chatter of a goaltending controversy.
“I don’t read the media speculation, so that helps,” Fleury said. “It’s not about me. It’s about the team, and the team’s been winning, been good.
“And Vokoun’s been good, so I work hard in practice, trying to stay sharp.”
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 12
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)