Jun 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury knows what it’s like to be replaced in goal.
As such, he’s a good person to ask about Jonathan Quick.
Quick, who was yanked for the first time this postseason in Sunday’s 4-2 Game 2 loss to Chicago, gave up four goals for the first time in 34 postseason games and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier.
It’s something Fleury doesn’t expect to happen again in Game 3.
“[Quick] has had a terrific playoffs,” Fleury told the Chicago Tribune. “Chicago’s a tough team, dangerous team. They have so much offensive power, power up front.
“It happens, but I’m sure he’ll be fine next game.”
Fleury lasted just four games this postseason before he was pulled in favor of Thomas Vokoun.
The 28-year-old spent most of the year as Pittsburgh’s No. 1 goalie but, after allowing 14 goals in Games 2-4 against the Islanders and losing two of three, he was dumped in favor of the veteran Czech netminder.
Fleury has handled the demotion well.
Last week, he said he was “trying not to think about” his future with the Penguins, opting rather to focus on the present and being the best backup possible.
In speaking with the Tribune, he added he has a good working relationship with Vokoun and ignores chatter of a goaltending controversy.
“I don’t read the media speculation, so that helps,” Fleury said. “It’s not about me. It’s about the team, and the team’s been winning, been good.
“And Vokoun’s been good, so I work hard in practice, trying to stay sharp.”
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 18
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)