Jun 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Marc-Andre Fleury knows what it’s like to be replaced in goal.
As such, he’s a good person to ask about Jonathan Quick.
Quick, who was yanked for the first time this postseason in Sunday’s 4-2 Game 2 loss to Chicago, gave up four goals for the first time in 34 postseason games and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier.
It’s something Fleury doesn’t expect to happen again in Game 3.
“[Quick] has had a terrific playoffs,” Fleury told the Chicago Tribune. “Chicago’s a tough team, dangerous team. They have so much offensive power, power up front.
“It happens, but I’m sure he’ll be fine next game.”
Fleury lasted just four games this postseason before he was pulled in favor of Thomas Vokoun.
The 28-year-old spent most of the year as Pittsburgh’s No. 1 goalie but, after allowing 14 goals in Games 2-4 against the Islanders and losing two of three, he was dumped in favor of the veteran Czech netminder.
Fleury has handled the demotion well.
Last week, he said he was “trying not to think about” his future with the Penguins, opting rather to focus on the present and being the best backup possible.
In speaking with the Tribune, he added he has a good working relationship with Vokoun and ignores chatter of a goaltending controversy.
“I don’t read the media speculation, so that helps,” Fleury said. “It’s not about me. It’s about the team, and the team’s been winning, been good.
“And Vokoun’s been good, so I work hard in practice, trying to stay sharp.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 15
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 26
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)