Jun 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Marc-Andre Fleury knows what it’s like to be replaced in goal.
As such, he’s a good person to ask about Jonathan Quick.
Quick, who was yanked for the first time this postseason in Sunday’s 4-2 Game 2 loss to Chicago, gave up four goals for the first time in 34 postseason games and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier.
It’s something Fleury doesn’t expect to happen again in Game 3.
“[Quick] has had a terrific playoffs,” Fleury told the Chicago Tribune. “Chicago’s a tough team, dangerous team. They have so much offensive power, power up front.
“It happens, but I’m sure he’ll be fine next game.”
Fleury lasted just four games this postseason before he was pulled in favor of Thomas Vokoun.
The 28-year-old spent most of the year as Pittsburgh’s No. 1 goalie but, after allowing 14 goals in Games 2-4 against the Islanders and losing two of three, he was dumped in favor of the veteran Czech netminder.
Fleury has handled the demotion well.
Last week, he said he was “trying not to think about” his future with the Penguins, opting rather to focus on the present and being the best backup possible.
In speaking with the Tribune, he added he has a good working relationship with Vokoun and ignores chatter of a goaltending controversy.
“I don’t read the media speculation, so that helps,” Fleury said. “It’s not about me. It’s about the team, and the team’s been winning, been good.
“And Vokoun’s been good, so I work hard in practice, trying to stay sharp.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (42)