Jun 3, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT
Marc-Andre Fleury knows what it’s like to be replaced in goal.
As such, he’s a good person to ask about Jonathan Quick.
Quick, who was yanked for the first time this postseason in Sunday’s 4-2 Game 2 loss to Chicago, gave up four goals for the first time in 34 postseason games and was replaced by Jonathan Bernier.
It’s something Fleury doesn’t expect to happen again in Game 3.
“[Quick] has had a terrific playoffs,” Fleury told the Chicago Tribune. “Chicago’s a tough team, dangerous team. They have so much offensive power, power up front.
“It happens, but I’m sure he’ll be fine next game.”
Fleury lasted just four games this postseason before he was pulled in favor of Thomas Vokoun.
The 28-year-old spent most of the year as Pittsburgh’s No. 1 goalie but, after allowing 14 goals in Games 2-4 against the Islanders and losing two of three, he was dumped in favor of the veteran Czech netminder.
Fleury has handled the demotion well.
Last week, he said he was “trying not to think about” his future with the Penguins, opting rather to focus on the present and being the best backup possible.
In speaking with the Tribune, he added he has a good working relationship with Vokoun and ignores chatter of a goaltending controversy.
“I don’t read the media speculation, so that helps,” Fleury said. “It’s not about me. It’s about the team, and the team’s been winning, been good.
“And Vokoun’s been good, so I work hard in practice, trying to stay sharp.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)