Jun 3, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Dallas Eakins’ coaching candidacy tour rolls on.
Last week, the AHL Toronto bench boss met with Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish about a spot on the Oilers’ coaching staff, the Globe and Mail reports.
Eakins is being considered for an associate coaching gig with Edmonton to work alongside head coach Ralph Krueger who, after his first year on the job, is reportedly not on the hot seat.
The 46-year-old Eakins has been coaching the Marlies since 2009 and is regarded as one of the AHL’s finest coaches. He took the Marlies to the 2012 Calder Cup finals and has posted a .632 winning percentage in each of his last two seasons.
He’s also been very active on the job interview front lately.
Vancouver asked Toronto’s permission to interview Eakins for its vacant head coaching position, as did Dallas. Over the weekend, TSN reported that the New York Rangers also sought permission to speak with Eakins after firing John Tortorella.
Here’s more on the Oilers situation, from the Globe’s James Mirtle:
Eakins has long maintained that he believes his next step will be as an NHL head coach, noting that he already has two years as an NHL assistant – in 2006-07 and 2007-08 with the Leafs under Maurice – and wasn’t interested in returning to the role.
But what the Oilers are looking for is someone to step in one rung higher as an associate coach – a situation where Eakins would be considered second-in-command and first to take over in case of a firing – and there’s no question the Marlies coach could be an excellent fit with a young, up-and-coming team.
That was believed to be the basis for MacTavish’s sell job, one that can only work if Eakins doesn’t get an offer to be a head coach elsewhere.
Mirtle also notes the Oilers have been looking at former ‘Canes head coach Paul Maurice and ex-Vancouver assistant Rick Bowness, the latter of whom accepted a position with Tampa Bay on Monday.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)