Discuss: Bruins crush Pens, take 2-0 series lead

Jun 3, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT

hortonseguingetty Getty Images

The Boston Bruins might have embraced the role of the underdog coming into the 2013 Eastern Conference finals, but they’ve made an emphatic statement that the Pittsburgh Penguins had every reason to respect them through two dominant wins to open the series.

After beating them 3-0 in Game 1, the Bruins really poured it on in Game 2, throttling the Penguins 6-1 in a game that seemed like it was over once the second period started. Let’s get the discussion started.

• We’ll have a poll up later, but we might as well start the debate here: should Dan Bylsma tab Marc-Andre Fleury or Tomas Vokoun in Game 3?
  • One of the few bright sides for Pittsburgh is that they’ve been strong on the road. Can they get back in the series as it shifts to Boston?
  • Goaltending is far from the only problem for Pittsburgh. Who needs to step up the most: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or Kris Letang? Are any of those three getting unfair treatment?
  • Tuukka Rask has quietly allowed just one goal in two games. Is he officially the goalie of the future for the Bruins?
  • Is the Milan LucicDavid KrejciNathan Horton line the best combo in the 2013 playoffs. If not, who takes the cake?
  • If this series doesn’t turn at all, should Bylsma worry about his job security? Could there be any other big changes in Pittsburgh?
199 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cubi1 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:20 PM

NBC has got to get rid of Pierre and Eddie, the guys calling the Chicago-LA series are way better

• icelovinbrotha215 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I’m not a huge fan of Darren Pang but I agree with your request.

• tdrusher225 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I agree that I’d like to see someone besides those two, but the guys calling the LA-Chicago series stink. The play-by-play guy on that team is so boring, and Darren Pang’s okay. I much prefer the TSN guys. I wish they would use that guy who called the LA-SJ series, I think he is the Hurricanes announcer.

• titansrbeast - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Lol oh right, the guy who called Couture NATHAN Couture and talked about how much Vancouver has improved their PK from last season when talking about San Jose rofl…Doc is much much better IMO.

• tlndma - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I like Doc but, Eddie O. has to go. When he’s doing a Pitt or Chic. game, his commentary is totally one sided. They could be down 5-1 and he still justs talks about Pitt/Chic., instead of the other team.

2. broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Boy, I bet Iginla is kicking himself in the arse right about now.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Irony @ it’s finest my friend.

• jpelle82 - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM

considering he isnt doing anything to help the cause he can only blame himself right now. jagr is enjoying the free ride though

3. drewzducks - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I really feel bad for this pathetic bastard…(sarcasm)…

4. jaybaileys - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

The Pens were horrible. Can’t Sid kick that puck? Giveaway in the first 30 seconds. Played like he was high or drunk. Letang was a turnover pinching machine. They are self destructing and the Bruins are just beating them in every facet of the game. No other thing to say. Malkin and Sid zero points. Not gonna win too many like that. I’d play Beau and scratch Letang. Not dead they are a good road team. But they are on life support at this point.

5. 19to77 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM

This game was over by the end of the first period. The Pens’ chances of coming back in this series are miniscule – unlike last game, Boston seemed in control the whole time instead of trading chances for half of it like game one.

In other words, the Bruins have dragged the Pens from Cup favourites to desperate underdogs in four periods flat.

• 8man - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Well, that’s what everyone thought at the end of game 1 in the Toronto series. Still a ways to go. I have seen too many “leads” evaporate. One shift at a time. One game at a time.

6. drone501 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM

hell, right now i think i would rather have bryz in goal.

• taypax - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

hey loser, aren’t you the dick that made fun of Savard? hope your spineless Pens get swept, you little maggot

7. chanceoffleury1 - Jun 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Why you gotta be like this, Penguins!? Not a good night to be a Pittsburgh sports team. Not much else to say besides :(

8. billsboy88 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Geez, once the pens are out of the playoffs the comment traffic on this site is going to take a nose dive.
    The discussion article for last night’s CHI-LA game? 56 comments to date. The discussion for this game? 140 comments less than 2 hours after the article was posted.

Love ‘em or hate ‘em, it’s hard to argue that the Pens get hockey fans interested.

Remember, even if you are tuning in just to root against the Pens, in the eyes of those who make the financial decisions in the NHL, you are still tuning in because of the Pens.

• drewsylvania - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM

That might be the dumbest conclusion ever written.

• comeonnowguys - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

A lot of people are following Justin Bieber. A lot of people watch the Kardashians.

They’re still all d-bags with a negative effect on American culture.

• taintedlombardis - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Did you see the events that transpired last night? I’d say that was a comment worthy game.

9. bobhpine - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I appreciate you posters on ProHockeyTalk. The content of the nonsense that you put up is so consistent that I marvel. I thought there might be some variation among morons, but there is surprisingly very little. The simple mind seems to coalesce around the same thoughts when it comes to hockey. Who knew?! Here are my favorite threads:

1) “We.” It’s so cute you guys think you’re on the team. Oh wait, not cute, I meant pathetic. Even though you spend your whole chick-fil-a part time salary on jerseys, that doesn’t make you part of the team.

2) Grrrrr, so tough. “I’d love to knock Crosby’s teeth down his throat.” Sure tough guy. “It’s a good thing I don’t run into these professional athletes on the street or I’d punch him out with my unemployed fist.” This is actually a little sad considering you people might have real physical aggression towards people you don’t even know with respect to a hockey team you don’t even play for.

3) It’s a conspiracy. “We” lost. Therefore, Bettman and the NHL screwed “us” on purpose. This is especially funny when you people say the NHL wants to take advantage of huge markets like Pittsburgh and rigs the results to do so.

4) Stay classy. Live by the code of classy hockey! What’s the code you ask? It’s whatever I say it is. “We” are so classy and the NHL hates us for it.

5) I used to play hockey, therefore I know everything. Your JV high school 3 point game as a 19 year old senior impresses us all. Please share your knowledge of what true hockey players think. Too bad you can’t attach a picture of your variety letter jacket…if you had one I mean.

Some permutation of these five sentiments comprises 95% of this site.

I’m just glad I don’t see you guys in real life. You are all SO tough I’m sure. Just make sure Mom keeps paying that Internet bill so your aggro impulses can be satisfied online and you don’t go and take your aggression out on the rest of us weaklings in public. Losers.

• whatdapuck - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Well, aren’t you the smartest guy in the room. Dude, your trying too hard and your coming off as a condescending douche. If you had made any legitimite points here (you didn’t) they would have been drowned out by your arrogance.

Frankie says relax. I say get the phuck over yourself.

• 8man - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Actually, some of this was pretty funny…and true. In an angry, condescending, sarcastic sort of way.

• drewsylvania - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I checked the hedge he was sniping from. He’s long gone.

• hockeydon10 - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Hedge? I thought it was a horse. A very high horse.

• taintedlombardis - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM

The butthurt is strong in this one!

• jimthebear - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Ok
      So what should we talk about then? Hmmm, I thought the choice of Van Halen bumper music during the commercial breaks was definitely a good choice. Not Chopin or Mozart, but still in good taste..

MAN, It must suck to be you sitting in mom’s basement in Pittsburgh today.. At least I have a job at Chick-Fil-A (going to use it, spell it right). How’s the meatloaf mom made for dinner last night you a$$hat.

• stickskills - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM

oh man…he forgot to put the whole “mom’s basement” line in his list…thanks for pointing that out!

• taypax - Jun 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

you are one pathetic loser…gfy

10. whatdapuck - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Anyone else think Sid took a dive on that Marchand tripping call? There was contact, sure… but he looked like a cartoon character slipping on a banana peel on that play. There’s NO WAY that was on the level.

• nosefacekillah - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:26 AM

No doubt about it. Sid needs to flop, it is a big part of his game. But Marchand was stupid to give him the opportunity.

• miketoasty - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Funny, Sid has never been called for a dive in his career, while we all know Marchand plays dirty but it was obviously a dive by Crosby? But, hey, anything to get one over on Crosby right, no matter how stupid you sound?

• jimthebear - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM

No toasty. Crosby is the NHL equivalent to LeBron James.. Whenever James here’s a whistle, he, by reflex at this point, just walks straight to the foul line..

• stickskills - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM

No, I’m pretty sure it’s hard to dive when you don’t even see a semi-slewfoot coming. I was listening to them talk about it on NHL Radio this morning, which is pretty non-biased for the most part…everyone agreed it was Marchand being dirty. I’m thinking you are seeing that the way you want to see it.

• kovodisc - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Bruins can here – no way that was a dive, just a really stupid and unnecessary play by Marchand.

• rdurk86 - Jun 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Explain how you can slewfoot with your stick, I’m interested to know.

Why is it that every minor penalty is a “dirty” play now? Apparently hooking is now dirty. Can we all just grow up? It’s not like he got away with it.

• hockey412 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM

That’s why I said semi. The act of intentionally taking someone’s feet out from under them, from behind, is dirty. I don’t know that anyone, even in BOSTON, would argue that was a clean play.

• rdurk86 - Jun 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Wow, he spun him around and he hit the ice fairly soft. I would say dirty would be Penguin players taking shots at Bruins players while down on the ice, or maybe something that Cooke guy did.

Additionally, of course Crosby has to lay down on the ice for 30 seconds and look around to make sure the refs noticed. Maybe if he would just play through some of the checks he’s getting instead of falling down or coughing the puck up, the pens might be in better shape.

• hockey412 - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Yeah….honestly if you can’t even admit that taking someone’s legs out from behind is a dirty play, then there’s really no point in responding. There’s a lot of rough stuff (though I do like the “or maybe something that cooke guy did” line). Malkin punching Bergeron was just plain awesome. They were in a fight. McQuaid punch people in the back of the head after EACH AND EVERY when they aren’t expecting it play is dirty. We’re not going to agree here, I like hockey, whereas you like the Bruins.

• jpelle82 - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM

what a joke. he jumps off the bench puts his leg out and his stick and slew foots him away from the puck. he gets away with it more times than he is caught but even as boston fans you guys should especially know this happens with marchand pretty regularly. he is a little weasel, he did it to letang last game too but got away with it. he’s got such a little man’s complex its funny to watch though

• jpelle82 - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:58 AM

you take a guy who’s never been called for a dive vs a guy who has been penalized, fined, and suspended for these exact plays and try to say it was anything other than the obvious bad play by marchand? you guys are so jaded by your crosby hate you cant even watch things objectively anymore. its sad

11. steelers88 - Jun 4, 2013 at 6:43 AM

The reason why the Bruins are up 2-0 in this is because they are playing great and the Penguins are like crap! If I were the Penguins organization I would fire Dan Bylsma if they don’t win this series he is being out coached AGAIN! He has also lost the lockerroom AGAIN! I would get a coach who is more defensive minded.

• tlndma - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:32 AM

They’ll get the coach Sidney tells them to get.

• miketoasty - Jun 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

tlndma: GM/Owner picks the coach not players. I get what you were trying to do, but it’s just not funny. You can’t force these things that freaking much.

12. steelerofthedraft - Jun 4, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Never count out the penguins! The penguins are a team filled with leaders , it pittsburgh takes game 3 the whole series changes , game 3 is the do or die for pittsburgh.
    Vokoun or fleurry need to protect the goal better , giving up easy goals never helps the team !

• tokyobuzzsaw - Jun 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM

The team is a reflection of it’s leadership. The leader of the Penguins who has the “C” on his shirt is someone who is frustrated and lost his composure after two periods of game one. He is a whiny, flopping poor sport who when challenged will just take his ball and go home. Anybody that knows hockey can clearly see that although the Penguins goalies haven’t been great, the real problem is the lack of back checking and defense by the forwards. I posted this yesterday and I’ll post it again today, all of the forwards for the Penguins are looking for a break away. There is no rebound control on the part of the forwards, no one is crashing the net helping the Defensemen or the goalie against the Bruins forwards who are crashing the net hard. All of the forwards wants to make the highlight reel with break away goals. The biggest offender is the “Leader” of the Penguins, Sidney Crosby. If the rest of the Penguins are going to follow the “Leader” of the of team, then I like the Bruins chances to close this series out in Boston.

Go B’s!!!!

13. yousuxxors - Jun 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

what makes people think the bruins will win the cup if they get past the pens?(most likely but its 7 games for a reason) the hawks play fast and play great underrated defense and the kings play the same game with a better goalie.

14. fubar77 - Jun 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Who is jumping ahead to the Cup series where The Bruins are concerned? All anyone is saying is s of right now, The Bruins are out playing The Penguins. Sorry your team is getting its ass kicked right now, but no one is jumping ahead here but you.

No matter who wins this series, they will have their hands full with The Hawks or The Kings. No one is saying otherwise. Right now who cares?

Try to stay on topic!

• mjdkid100 - Jun 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Seriously imagine if Pitt had won game 1 & 2 like the Bruins did? Can you imagine the amount of talk these idiots would be throwing out there?

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches