Jun 3, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
Sidney Crosby thinks he should be able to give his honest opinion without being labeled a whiner — even if his opinion is critical of the officiating.
On Saturday, the Penguins’ captain opined that the referees allowed Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals to grow out of control, culminating in a fight between Evgeni Malkin and Patrice Bergeron at the end of the second period.
“They’re letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate,” Crosby said. “You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope. That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that.”
Today, Crosby stood by what he said.
“I don’t think anyone blamed the officiating for why we lost,” he said, per Shelly Anderson of the Post-Gazette.
“We lost for other reasons. It wasn’t the officiating. We were asked about a couple of penalties, and we gave an honest answer.
“We’re not always going to agree on what’s a penalty and what’s not. I don’t think there was anything wrong with what anybody said. I think we are free to give our opinion.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 12
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 15
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 35
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)