Jun 3, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby thinks he should be able to give his honest opinion without being labeled a whiner — even if his opinion is critical of the officiating.
On Saturday, the Penguins’ captain opined that the referees allowed Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals to grow out of control, culminating in a fight between Evgeni Malkin and Patrice Bergeron at the end of the second period.
“They’re letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate,” Crosby said. “You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope. That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that.”
Today, Crosby stood by what he said.
“I don’t think anyone blamed the officiating for why we lost,” he said, per Shelly Anderson of the Post-Gazette.
“We lost for other reasons. It wasn’t the officiating. We were asked about a couple of penalties, and we gave an honest answer.
“We’re not always going to agree on what’s a penalty and what’s not. I don’t think there was anything wrong with what anybody said. I think we are free to give our opinion.”
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 15
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (61)