Jun 3, 2013, 2:21 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby thinks he should be able to give his honest opinion without being labeled a whiner — even if his opinion is critical of the officiating.
On Saturday, the Penguins’ captain opined that the referees allowed Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals to grow out of control, culminating in a fight between Evgeni Malkin and Patrice Bergeron at the end of the second period.
“They’re letting a lot go out there, and the more it gets like that, the more it’s going to escalate,” Crosby said. “You can only control and channel that stuff so much. You keep letting guys do that stuff, you’re just going to push the envelope. That’s something we obviously want to stay away from, but it’s kind of a natural thing when it gets like that.”
Today, Crosby stood by what he said.
“I don’t think anyone blamed the officiating for why we lost,” he said, per Shelly Anderson of the Post-Gazette.
“We lost for other reasons. It wasn’t the officiating. We were asked about a couple of penalties, and we gave an honest answer.
“We’re not always going to agree on what’s a penalty and what’s not. I don’t think there was anything wrong with what anybody said. I think we are free to give our opinion.”
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)