Jun 2, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
It looks like Tim Thomas‘ unique and interesting hockey career might not be over.
Although his agent said that everything is status quo with Thomas, it wouldn’t be surprising if he attempted a comeback in 2013-14, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
That news would likely be particularly interesting to the New York Islanders, who traded for Thomas’ rights despite the fact that he decided not to play this season.
Although Thomas’ contract is set to expire this summer, the Islanders have the right to toll his contract to the 2013-14 campaign. In other words, if the Islanders wanted to keep him under their control, they can do so after he refused to report this season.
That being said, there is apparently a chance that he will sidestep the NHL entirely. Friedman’s sources indicated that Thomas playing in Europe is another possibility. The Michigan-native had success in the Finnish League before he finally established himself in the NHL.
There’s also of course the question of how effective the 39-year-old goaltender will be after taking a year off. If he’s able to shake off the rust and willing to play for the Islanders, he would be a big boost for a franchise that seems to be on the rise.
Jul 12, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
The Flyers goaltending prospect is set to begin his pro career in 2014-15.
Jul 12, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
He had a hearing scheduled for July 25.
Jul 12, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
He lost vision in his right eye.
Jul 12, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Peruse Saturday’s set of links.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
Two former first-round draft picks.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
He didn’t play professional hockey in 2013-14.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Jason Spezza’s departure likely makes him Ottawa’s No. 1 pivot.
Jul 11, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Will their optimism be justified?
Jul 11, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He seemed bound for Switzerland on Thursday.
Jul 11, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
They acquired him from Montreal this summer.
Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Another interesting young forward in Tampa Bay.
Jul 11, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
“Evander’s a Winnipeg Jet and that’s how we’re moving forward.”
Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
What could the Blackhawks’ defense look like without him?
Jul 11, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Pressure’s on for Randy Carlyle.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
“We’re not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second.”
Jul 11, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Drafted 22nd overall.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Played for Steve Yzerman during the 2010 Olympics.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
“There was no room for negotiation.”
Jul 11, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Six-year extension for the 28-year-old center.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Not that there was much left anyways.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 25
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 66
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (66)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)