Jun 2, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times says Ohlund’s inability to play is going to wind up costing the team a lot of money one way or another. Ohlund, meanwhile, says there’s not much more he can do to get healthier.
“From a surgery standpoint, there is nothing more that I can do,” he said. “Everybody has been absolutely wonderful, management, coaches and everybody with the Lightning. As for how it’s going to play out, I’m not completely sure.”
With three more years left on his deal, the Lightning would normally likely use a compliance buyout on Ohlund. His injury status makes that impossible to do as injured players cannot be bought out.
While the team can get cap relief, if needed, by putting him on long-term injured reserve they’ll still have to pay up the final $6.75 million he’s owed. Ohlund could also retire, but it’s highly unlikely he’d be eager to give up the money to do it. Somehow GM Steve Yzerman is going to have to make his $3.6 million cap hit not be an issue.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 22
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 32
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)