Jun 2, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Rick Bowness was an assistant coach with the Vancouver Canucks until recently, but it’s looking like he could be back behind a bench soon.
Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times reports the Lightning are close to signing Bowness to be head coach Jon Cooper’s new assistant coach. Tampa Bay is in the market for a new assistant after they did not offer former assistant coach Dan Lacroix a new contract.
Bowness has a lot of history in hockey as a coach as he’s spent the last 21 years behind the bench in some fashion. The last seven years he’s spent as Alain Vigneault’s assistant in Vancouver until being fired just a couple weeks ago. He was an assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes for five years before his time in Vancouver.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 20
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 37
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 15
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20