Jun 2, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Rick Bowness was an assistant coach with the Vancouver Canucks until recently, but it’s looking like he could be back behind a bench soon.
Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times reports the Lightning are close to signing Bowness to be head coach Jon Cooper’s new assistant coach. Tampa Bay is in the market for a new assistant after they did not offer former assistant coach Dan Lacroix a new contract.
Bowness has a lot of history in hockey as a coach as he’s spent the last 21 years behind the bench in some fashion. The last seven years he’s spent as Alain Vigneault’s assistant in Vancouver until being fired just a couple weeks ago. He was an assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes for five years before his time in Vancouver.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35