Jun 2, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Brown caught Toews with an elbow in the throat in the final minute of Chicago’s 2-1 Game 1 victory. While the hit appeared to just be a big one along the boards, there was a little something extra to it that Toews didn’t care for. He told reporters this morning that he expects that sort of thing from the Kings captain.
“We know that he’s going to be looking for stuff like that. Just got to be aware of it,” Toews said.
“I think they were maybe a little frustrated we were moving the puck around the outside without even two minutes left to go in the game, just trying to kill time on the power play. I kind of expect him to do something like that.”
The Kings getting rough with Brown leading the way is nothing new, but his way of doing it has gotten under other teams’ skin in the past. Just ask last year’s Coyotes about that.
How these two captains battle things out as this series goes along is going to be curious. Both let their play do the talking and Toews might not want to get roped into Brown’s extracurricular activities.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)