Jun 2, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Brown caught Toews with an elbow in the throat in the final minute of Chicago’s 2-1 Game 1 victory. While the hit appeared to just be a big one along the boards, there was a little something extra to it that Toews didn’t care for. He told reporters this morning that he expects that sort of thing from the Kings captain.
“We know that he’s going to be looking for stuff like that. Just got to be aware of it,” Toews said.
“I think they were maybe a little frustrated we were moving the puck around the outside without even two minutes left to go in the game, just trying to kill time on the power play. I kind of expect him to do something like that.”
The Kings getting rough with Brown leading the way is nothing new, but his way of doing it has gotten under other teams’ skin in the past. Just ask last year’s Coyotes about that.
How these two captains battle things out as this series goes along is going to be curious. Both let their play do the talking and Toews might not want to get roped into Brown’s extracurricular activities.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)