Jun 2, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
Former Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke is keeping busy scouting for the Anaheim Ducks, but it doesn’t stop him from thinking of ways to help evolve the NHL.
Burke tells Kevin Paul Dupont of The Boston Globe he’d like to see the league adopt a larger ice surface to help provide room for players that continue to get bigger, faster, and stronger.
“By and large, we’re still playing on the same-sized surface on which the 5-foot-9 Leo Boivin was deemed the feared hitter of his day,” said Burke. “Our players are bigger and faster now, and if that changes, it’s only going to increase.
“A wider rink should allow for more playmaking, more scoring, better power plays… overall, a greater emphasis on skill, but still with plenty of hitting. No one wants to turn hockey into a non-contact sport.”
Burke’s idea is to make the ice a bit wider and expand to either 90 or 92-feet. Currently, NHL-sized ice is 85-feet wide while the International standard is 100-feet. He also adds he’s got the support of Penguins GM Ray Shero and Islanders GM Garth Snow when it comes to the issue.
With players just getting bigger, it makes sense to also make the playing surface larger. Getting arenas to eliminate a few rows of seating to make it work, however, might prove to be the toughest part of it all.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)