Jun 1, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins already admitted that they aren’t very fond of Matt Cooke for his hit on essentially retired forward Marc Savard. Now they have a 2013 example, as Cooke was ejected for checking defenseman Adam McQuaid from behind during the second period of Saturday’s Game 1:
Cooke received a five-minute major penalty to go along with his game misconduct while Chris Kelly received a roughing minor for addressing the situation.
Losing the 34-year-old winger is the only way the Penguins really paid for that infraction, though, as the Penguins killed off the three minutes of major power play time Boston received.
The good news is that McQuaid returned to the Bruins bench during that same second period, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty. (The 26-year-old has dealt with concussions before in his career.)
Bold prediction: the NHL will take quite a few looks at this hit.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)